Problems with Reaper

LeoBurgg

Feb 16, 2010
Bronx, NY
Hey guys. I have been using Reaper for a while now with relatively no problems. However, lately whenever I am mixing something, everything seems fine but then the playback gets really slow and choppy and Reaper in general becomes very slow and basically unusable. This is becoming such burden because I then need to close Reaper and restart it but it just happens again after a few minutes. Do you think its because I'm running a couple instances of Podfarm and various other plugins and my system just can't keep up? I am running about 4gb of ram here. Has anyone else had this problem with Reaper? Thanks.

Sounds like you're running out of processing power or something along those lines. When this starts happening, open up task manager or or something similar and see what your cpu usage is. I'll be it's spiking to around 100%

Most likely a system problem and not Reaper.

I'm having the same problem here actually.

It's most frustrating, i'm driving the computer hard with the cpu averaging about 85% and then suddenly the audio gets insanely choppy, the cpu hits 100% and I'm left struggling to get it to stop playing so i can open the audio device dialogue (which resets the drivers). A small workaround is to set reaper so it closes the audio device for all the time you're not actually recording or playing, which means when it fucks up you can just press stop then start and it recovers

edit: just checked i think it must be a plugin. Although windows reports the cpu hitting 100%, reaper reports a plugin cpu usage of several hundred percent!

Buffer settings.
You only need a low buffer size when tracking. Bump them up while mixing

I was having the same problem with running Reaper on my PC. Everytime I ran a plugin it happened. And I had 2.06ghz processing speed, as well as 2gigs of ram. I know it's not a lot anyway, which I feel was affecting the performance. Thank goodness I saw the light and got an iMac... now my troubles are behind me. ;)

If I were you, I would try maxing out the RAM. If that fails, and if you can afford it, switch to a mac. :lol: I've had no issues running Reaper on mine.

I was having the same problem with running Reaper on my PC. Everytime I ran a plugin it happened. And I had 2.06ghz processing speed, as well as 2gigs of ram. I know it's not a lot anyway, which I feel was affecting the performance. Thank goodness I saw the light and got an iMac... now my troubles are behind me. ;)

If I were you, I would try maxing out the RAM. If that fails, and if you can afford it, switch to a mac. :lol: I've had no issues running Reaper on mine.

got 4 gig of ram and it's never even reached 1gig full while running reaper. Processor is a 2.4ghz core 2 duo, nothing fancy but does the job.

I wish i could afford an imac but i seriously can't

got 4 gig of ram and it's never even reached 1gig full while running reaper. Processor is a 2.4ghz core 2 duo, nothing fancy but does the job.

I wish i could afford an imac but i seriously can't

Hmmm... have you updated Reaper lately? Or have you installed any new plugins? I'm thinking you may have to revert back to an older version (if possible), or stop using specific plugins. Have you gotten a response on the Reaper forums or from their company with any ideas?

Reaper would seize-up whenever I used EZ Drummer and Drumkit From Hell. Would start freaking out and lock-up my computer.

So I think raising the buffer solved the problem although my processor is running pretty hard. But now it seems I have another problem. For some reason the panning in Reaper is all messed up. For example if I record a guitar and pan it hard left, it plays through the right channel instead. Any ideas how to fix this?

So I think raising the buffer solved the problem although my processor is running pretty hard. But now it seems I have another problem. For some reason the panning in Reaper is all messed up. For example if I record a guitar and pan it hard left, it plays through the right channel instead. Any ideas how to fix this?

you've got something physical plugged in the wrong way around. Very unlikely to be reaper unless you've been messing with the in/out