Problems with X-Amp box?

rfahey86

Death Be Not Proud
Jan 15, 2010
Dickson City, Pa
Today I bought an X-Amp reamping box and I don't think it is working correctly. In the instructions it says to leave the gain knob all the way up on the box and then turn up the output signal from the mixer until the clip indicator comes on. Then turn down the gain knob on the box until the light stays out.

The problem I am having is even with the gain on the box and on the output from my mbox all the to the max, the clip indicator is not coming on. In protools the meter reads about -6 dB RMS. My output signal chain is:
Mbox output 1-------Xamp--------Amplifier

Am I doing something wrong is this a defective POS?

P.S. When I turn all of the gain all the way up the signal starts to distort with no indication on the light.

my radial had to be sent back for repair right out of the box due to an accidental flaw in the production of a few in a row. there were a few x-amps that had pretty low-level output, like it only ever got to 90% of the gain. they're awesome and fix the mistake for free, you just gotta let em know you got one, and the serial. i think. i can't remember. but they're awesome about helping you get it fixed, and when it IS fixed, it sounds awesome.

i guess i don't understand the problem, heh.

I believe the outputs of the Mbox 2 are balanced, right? I'm running a 1/4 TRS to XLR cable from the interface to the x-amp, and then a regular instrument cable from the xamp output to the input of my amp.

I believe the outputs of the Mbox 2 are balanced, right? I'm running a 1/4 TRS to XLR cable from the interface to the x-amp, and then a regular instrument cable from the xamp output to the input of my amp.
You're doing it correctly then. That's just something a lot of guys get wrong or don't understand when they're starting reamping.

I have to push my x-amp REALLY hard with my RME FF800 and wonder if that's a flaw aswell? It's working. But I have to set my FF800 output to higain and turn my DI's ALL THE WAY UP to make the led light up at all.

It`s seems that it is design fault (intended), Radial just decided that massive gain reduction is good thing, that`s why I`m removed voltage divider from my ProRMP - it gives 8 db reduction before transformer. With X-Amp things can be much more complicated, but I`m afraid that both devices sharing the same philosophy, but, in case of ProRMP, this can be corrected.
Original ProRMP gives around 11 db of reduction with trim pot at maximum, modified one gives almost no gain reduction.
Maybe X-Amp also has around 11 db of reduction...

I have to push my x-amp REALLY hard with my RME FF800 and wonder if that's a flaw aswell? It's working. But I have to set my FF800 output to higain and turn my DI's ALL THE WAY UP to make the led light up at all.

You have done better than I did, every point in my gain structure was maxed and I could not get the led to show.

I was purposely trying to send the hottest signal to it to try and make the light come on. Other than that the unit works great. For right now I am just leaving the gain on the box up all the way and then turn the mbox up until the clean signal distorts. Then I turn it down slowly until the distortion goes away. I rather gain stage with the led though, rather than try and get close using my ears.

I was purposely trying to send the hottest signal to it to try and make the light come on. Other than that the unit works great. For right now I am just leaving the gain on the box up all the way and then turn the mbox up until the clean signal distorts. Then I turn it down slowly until the distortion goes away. I rather gain stage with the led though, rather than try and get close using my ears.

I trust my ears over an LED any day...!
However, it does sound stupid that they're reducing the gain so much.
I reamp with unbalanced outs -> Tubescreamer -> amp -> Countryman DI (ground switch always comes in handy here). Getting great results!

If it wasn't brand new I would take it apart and try to fix it, but I don't want to void the warranty. I'm gonna contact tech support tomorrow and see what they say. This is but another piece of crap from Guitar Center. It seems like everything electronic that I buy from there never makes it more than a month or two. Everything that I have ordered from American Musical Supply and Sweetwater has worked flawlessly. Strange, Huh?