Prog Cruise with Yes, Steve Hackett, UK, Carl Palmer, Saga, T Dream, Zebra and more

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Cruise To The Edge…much more than a concert cruise, this is an interactive experience with some of the giants who have built the progressive rock genre! This is truly the event of a lifetime, bringing back great memories and building new ones hanging out with YES, Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited, UK, Carl Palmer Band, Tangerine Dream, Saga, Nektar, Zebra, IOEarth, Heavy Mellow and more!

The MSC Poesia will transform into a Prog Rock Paradise, featuring four stages for music and more, including our amazing deck stage with ocean views in every direction. Enjoy intimate acoustic shows to grand main stage performances to mind-blowing music and light shows under the stars! Don’t miss our Storyteller Performances, special meet and greets plus a surprise jam or two!

The Cruise To The Edge is the world’s hottest Prog Rock ticket and news will be coming fast over the weeks to come. We will be on top of the latest developments, keeping you informed as the countdown to our March 25, 2013 sailing date draws near…check back regularly. Stay tuned for breaking news as it happens!

http://cruisetotheedge.com/

I know these cruises are getting more common, but this is a pretty cool one. For me anyway. Be interesting to see the final lineup. If I have a complaint about these, it's that they are still trickling in bands practically till the time they leave port. 70000 Tons doesn't have half their lineup yet, and the ticket restrictions start kicking in in two weeks.

It is cool for those who could afford it.
I am shocked how many people 70000 Tons draw.
I mean, its an amazing lineup each year.
I just can't believe the thousands some people must pay between flights, the cruise, and other ammentities to attend the cruise.

I wonder if it works because the overseas bands don't (possibly) require visas to perform at sea??????

I can tell you that the largest chunk of fans on the 70000 cruise are not from the US. At least didn't seem like it. I think the fact that the Europeans have a lot more vacation time, and while I haven't checked in a while, but I bet the monetary conversion rates are in their favor as well. There were some large groups up from South America that were on an extended tour of the US after the cruise, and a lot of Europeans I talked to were doing additional touring around the US before and/or after. One group had originally flown to the West coast to see a couple of bands, and then to Miami to leave on the cruise.

You can get cheap tickets from people that have to cancel, but transportation might be a bitch.

Be interesting to see the final lineup. If I have a complaint about these, it's that they are still trickling in bands practically till the time they leave port. 70000 Tons doesn't have half their lineup yet, and the ticket restrictions start kicking in in two weeks.

I completely understand (and empathize), but my guess is that their budget is based upon response from ticket sales. As with festivals, initial response to tickets sales is crucial. (hint, hint) ;)

~Jen

Between this cruise and that doom cruise that took place (did it?), I'd almost rather be in the Titanic...

But cool for those who like the bands I suppose ;)

I completely understand (and empathize), but my guess is that their budget is based upon response from ticket sales. As with festivals, initial response to tickets sales is crucial. (hint, hint) ;)

~Jen

The last two years of 70000 have been sell outs. I think people were pretty apprehensive the first year, but it built some momentum. There seemed to be almost 100% return back to it the next year, as those people got first dibs on the tickets and they were sold out quickly. This year though, I think there is some competition with the WOA cruise, and they even split their own crowd by offering the "barge to hell" cruise as well. I know on the forums, there was a lot of teeth gnashing as people waited on tickets until a better idea of the lineup for both was available. Still cabins on both available now, so something had an impact.