prog metal - Orwell's 1984 - Slate - POD

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
Hi guys , been working on this 1st track of a concept album about George Orwells "1984" - I know Rick Wakeman did one but it was shite!

New style for me i guess- opening with clean gtr's and descending into a metalfest - just a rough mix just now - need to redo one gtr part.

Used trusty Ibanez PGM 301 > POD and my new SLATE Drums!!

Hope you like.

APR 4TH 1984

Cool tune man, I liked the clean parts the most, quite hypnotizing :loco: but drums and distorted guitars sounded abit too thin for my taste.
I wonder how this would sound with downtuned guitars and with an overall bigger sound, more lowend to drums and some midds to guitars too..

Great job. This is a POD? Sounds like Dammit Distortion. That instant "Black Album" sound. :) Though I agree that maybe the drums are a touch too thin, and could maybe you a little more room to the sound. But, a really great job. Keep up the work on the whole concept thing.

Very nice tune. Was that one of my favorite "tension" chords an E minor bar chord with the high E on the open first string? i use it a lot :p

I liked the mix, is not PRO sounding, but seems balanced and pleasant.

I wonder how this would sound with downtuned guitars

Meh, Tuned down guitars are not the answer for everything. I believe good metal can be done over standard E

Very nice tune. Was that one of my favorite "tension" chords an E minor bar chord with the high E on the open first string? i use it a lot :p

I liked the mix, is not PRO sounding, but seems balanced and pleasant.

Meh, Tuned down guitars are not the answer for everything. I believe good metal can be done over standard E

Thanks man, re the mix - ok , will give it another go - prob my ears were too tired after listening to it too much.

So - more bottom end in the drums and more low mids on Gtr's??

I really loved this. The one dissonat chord is really cool. In the mix I'm hearing now the drums sound big.. It does sound like a Metallica jam because of those drums but you certainly can't avoid that when you use the Black Kit.

Still listening... drum programming is superb, I love it. I'm not sure about the first mix, but this mix the balance is very nice and the drums sound big.

I really loved this. The one dissonat chord is really cool. In the mix I'm hearing now the drums sound big.. It does sound like a Metallica jam because of those drums but you certainly can't avoid that when you use the Black Kit.

Still listening... drum programming is superb, I love it. I'm not sure about the first mix, but this mix the balance is very nice and the drums sound big.

Holy crap Steve ! i didnt think i'd get a listen from the guy who made the freakin drums!! So cool !!

I went back to my first mix and took everything off - and just loaded some basic eq's to cut some lows of the Clean gtr's (interfering with bass)

I compressed the SSD room sound quite a bit to get more "Bigness" if thats a word.

Very little compression on each track.

Mastered with voxengo tape bus > G clip > L2 (threshold 0 - i.e no limiting) just to catch overs.

Man im stoked you liked this steve!!

Man,this track sounds amzing..please can you share informations about drum processiing please?