ProgPower UK 2006

Osiris' Eyes

El Duderino
Jan 18, 2006
Windy City
I am seriously considering going overseas to catch the ProgPower UK show in March. It's a stellar one day show with Firewind (Gus G rules), Secret Sphere (return of crazy pants), Orphaned Land (could they top their performance from PPUSA VI?), Freedom Call, Pagan's Mind :)rock: ), Threshold, and the all-mighty Therion. Airfare is surprisingly cheap from Chicago to London ($350) and the tix are roughly $60. This brings me to my question and it goes out to Glenn; I know you won't be able to answer this question entirely, but do you forsee the possiblity of bringing the likes of Firewind, Freedom Call, or Pagan's Mind (again) for a future PPUSA?

I am definitely looking forward to PPUSA VII and rockin' out with Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyamaze, Thunderstone, etc. And Glenn, thanks for doing your part to keep Metal Alive in the US. Raise the horns and bang thy head!!!

Peace

Hey Osiris' Eyes - be great to have you over the the UK for PPUK!

We already have people from all over the world coming to PPUK - USA, Japan, Europe, so I guess we picked a pretty good lineup. :headbang:

I'm really looking forward to OL, and their acoustic set on the Friday night supported by 'electric' sets by Intense and Power Quest should be good too.

Mxgonzo...check American...leaving on 3/23 and coming back on 3/27 the fare is only $339. That's an amazing rate that I'm sure won't be around too much longer. Time for me to make a decision:yell: I can't believe that Power Quest is playing the pre-show along with an acoustic Orphaned Land...that's amazing!!!

Hey Volcane...thanks for the warm greetings. Have you ever seen a concert at this venue before??? Would you recommend taking a train or renting a car (never experienced driving in the UK before). Is this a reserved seating or general admission event???

Thanks

Yeah I live in NH USA and will be making the trip myself. Man my tix were a lil more but still relatively cheap.

Im really going for Firewind, and Pagans Mind myself.

I will also be seeing Pagans Mind and PowerQuest at a club called Mr Kyps while I am out there.

:headbang:

Volcane said:
ooops! Did you get carried away with the more relaxed speed limits in the UK?

Well, not really, just got nailed (by camera) for doing more than 50mph in a 'works zone' on the M25 or the M1. Enterprise Car Rentals emailed me and told me. I had to pay them some sort of fee to have the ticket transferred, but sure enough, I was never contacted to pay.

So, I guess I'm a wanted felon in the UK. Maybe it's best if I don't go. :)

I wish the venue were on the northern side of Birmingham rather than south of it. A writer friend of mine lives in Stafford (to the north) and has already offered me crash space, but it looks like it's too far away from PPUK's venue.

My prior UK trip commentary (Stafford and London), with pics (but no mention of the speeding ticket :)) is here: http://jet13.hasweb.com/~paulcas/grissec1/index.html

Osiris' Eyes said:
Hey Volcane...thanks for the warm greetings. Have you ever seen a concert at this venue before??? Would you recommend taking a train or renting a car (never experienced driving in the UK before). Is this a reserved seating or general admission event???

Thanks

Yep, I have. I saw Status Quo (purely for for research purposes) there before christmas. I'm biased, but it is really top quality stuff. massive stage, great sound, nice and easy to move around, plenty of bars. Only two years old, purpose-built mini-arena. Nice!

Train to Cheltenham Spa and then Taxis would be OK, but for total flexibility a car is probably going to be your best bet. Depends how much you want to drink on the Saturday! You can get Travel Lodge rooms for £26 pounds a night in the area to.

It's general admission, with unreserved seating in the main arena - too long to stand up all day...

It's about 35~45 minutes car journey south of Birmingham, and two hours car drive from London.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you need any more info.

Osiris' Eyes said:
Mxgonzo...check American...leaving on 3/23 and coming back on 3/27 the fare is only $339. That's an amazing rate that I'm sure won't be around too much longer. Time for me to make a decision:yell: I can't believe that Power Quest is playing the pre-show along with an acoustic Orphaned Land...that's amazing!!!

Thanks for the info but I think I'll have to pass this year. I was just in London back in August and my wallet just told me no you can't afford another trip so soon. I'm pissed about it too. I would kill to see Threshold again. Guess I'll have to plan for PPUK 2007.