ProgPower USA VIII Review Link

Here's a link to our review of Day 1 including an announcement involving Lance King (vocalist for Krucible):

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=reviews&id=2350

have to disagree with you on two points in here.....Cellador guitarist Chris Petersen as "outstanding musician". ignoring the numerous tech issues he was having, he was quite sloppy, and i got the impression that he didn't really know the cover songs they played. it didn't help matters that i was on the rail in front of him, where i could hardly hear the other guitar at all. couple that with their material being boring and generic, and, well.....

the other point is Freak Kitchen's jokes getting old....i was right up on the rail, so i couldn't really see many other people in the audience, but i never felt for a second like the jokes were getting old. in fact, IA's sense of humor is a large part of why i like that band so much.

My impression is that the reviewer takes his metal seriously...perhaps a bit too seriously. You can also tell his scope outside of metal is limited by his statement regarding the unknown songs during the jam. Heart? Queen? The Eagles? Those aren't exactly unknown bands.

Otherwise, a nice review even if I don't agree with certain band assessments.

Thanks for the feedback guys I'll pass it onto to "Soft Boy" the reviewer.

BTW, he's familiar with Heart, Eagles and Queen... in fact he DJs a 70's Hard Rock/Metal show on our station on Mondays. I think he was saying there were probably some better "universal" choices from those bands and for anyone under a given age in attendance they might not have recognized those particular cuts.

BTW, he's familiar with Heart, Eagles and Queen... in fact he DJs a 70's Hard Rock/Metal show on our station on Mondays. I think he was saying there were probably some better "universal" choices from those bands and for anyone under a given age in attendance they might not have recognized those particular cuts.

That could be true of the songs by King Diamind, Crimson Glory, or Gary Moore, but certainly not the bands already mentioned.

That could be true of the songs by King Diamind, Crimson Glory, or Gary Moore, but certainly not the bands already mentioned.

Agreed.

"Alone" was Heart's biggest hit as it spent 3 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart here in the States. It was also their most successful song in the UK (peaked at #3).

"Desperado" is the Eagles's *signature* song. They never released it as a single, but it was included on the best selling album of all time, The Eagles Greatest Hits, 1971-1975 (29 million sold in the States, 100+ million worldwide).

"Who Wants to Live Forever" is not Queen's biggest hit by far. However, every Queen fan knows it as the best ballad Queen ever did. Every sci-fi geek knows it from the movie "Highlander." Plus, After Forever actually released it as a cover on a B-side single a few years back (with Damian Wilson doing vocals- how's that for one hell of a coincidence).

I'd like to add a couple things about Thursday night review. One is sort of nitpicky, the other, IMO, isn't here's a crosspost from the FK forum:

Agreed on [them not resembling] grindcore comment! I also have 2 other issues with this review:

1) FK was NOT thrust into the headliner position, they were slated as CO-headliners with Vanden Plas. Same set length, etc.

2) IA's "...recurring frolics..." did not detract from the 2nd half of the show. I have yet to see any mention from anyone over at the PP forum
say this, and beleive me, if the crowd was growing tired of it, I sure as hell didn't notice, AND there would be posts about it. It's part of the show, sort of like David Lee Roth's stage banter, but better, & more entertaining, IMO.

While it was mostly a glowing review, these 2 issues have kind of stuck in my craw, the second, much more than the first.

Well, he is right that the jam started to lose momentum in the second half, partly due to crowd fatigue and partly due to poor song selection.

But the jam was an awesome idea that seemed to get a bigger rise out of the crowd than anything I've seen in three Progpowers. I'd definitely love to see it again, just shorter and sticking to the kind of music the crowd is likely to know and get into.

I also totally don't agree about Redemption. I'm not really into them except for a few songs, so of course they went and played those very songs and played them better than they were played on the album. Awesome performance. No, the crowd energy wasn't where it was before and after, but with a pure prog band you're almost never going to see people react the same way they react to a power band because it's a different style that gets a different kind of reaction out of people.

Oh, and I was definitely checking where the nearest exit was as well during the flaming sword incident. I'm surprised no one commented on that before. That seems to me much more of an issue than the naked chick. I mean, 999 times out of 1000 nothing will go wrong, but if it did I don't think all those people are finding the exits fast enough.

You also might want to fix the stuff about Communic. "Waves of Evil Decay" is the wrong name for the new album, and I have no idea what "Thunder Under" is supposed to be. :err:

I have to say your opinion of Threshold is highly off, I think it came off way better than Firewind, but Firewind still being amazing.

As with every festival type situation,every person gets something different out of every set.I personally thought that Redemption performed their set awesomely,and I'd say they were top 3 for the weekend.Also,Freak Kitchen,even though I personally dislike them passionately,held the crowd in the palm of their hands for most of their set.Krucible were great,even without a disc currently,blah blah blah...I could go on forever.
The review of the weekend was one mans opinion,he saw some things that others did not,and he may take his metal a little too serious,but one thing remains...Glenn continues to bring the best product to American shores every year!No other festival in America compares...BOTTOM LINE