"Progressive Metal" is not a genre.

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
99.5% of you have nothing to do with being progressive, and anyone who was truly "progressive" in the true sense of the word would not stoop to associate themselves with these so called "Progressive Metal" bands.

Gentlemen, please stop fooling yourselves.

MajestikMøøse;5804052 said:
99.5% of you have nothing to do with being progressive, and anyone who was truly "progressive" in the true sense of the word would not stoop to associate themselves with these so called "Progressive Metal" bands.

Gentlemen, please stop fooling yourselves.

Taken from Dictionary.com:

8. Grammar. noting a verb aspect or other verb category that indicates action or state going on at a temporal point of reference.

Progessive metal is called so because of the changing of melodies, harmonies, time signatures, etc. Is it not? Or is there more to your argument that all this time Dream Theater, Nevermore, and other progressive bands have been playing a lie?

Taken from Dictionary.com:

8. Grammar. noting a verb aspect or other verb category that indicates action or state going on at a temporal point of reference.

Progessive metal is called so because of the changing of melodies, harmonies, time signatures, etc. Is it not? Or is there more to your argument that all this time Dream Theater, Nevermore, and other progressive bands have been playing a lie?
i think he is referring to the other definitions such as:
1.favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are.

2.making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community.

3.characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.

with these definitions i totally agree with Herr Møøse. 'progressive' music is fucking stale. there's been no change, progress, or improvement.

exactly for that reason i've never interpreted "progressive" that way. Music that is truly different or unusual is often dubbed "avant-garde" anyways.

People who think progressive metal/rock should be 'progressing' in any way are just misinterpreting the name, imho.

i think he is referring to the other definitions such as...

Ah, but you cannot discount a part of the definition to prove a point, therefore my post is still valid.

I understand where everyone is coming from, using the more known version of the word, but at the same time I still belive 'progressive', for the reasons I already stated, is a proper term for the genre.