Punching In with drums

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Alooo.

When recording, do you guys typically have a drummer punch in for a spot he/she messes up on? With my history the drummer has always played through the entire song, so I've only had to punch in maybe twice with drums ever, and it turned out having a small glitchy sound. I'm assuming there's a correct way to do such a think..

Punch in with about 4bars precount. Then crossfade where you have the "glitch" later on. Be sure that the drummer plays along as soon as he knows where he is to get a more natural feeling when the DAW starts to record.

Pretty much exactly what Crillemannen said. Plus having him play along before the punch means there's energy in the room, so you ambience doesn't dissapear when you do the punch. Also make sure he's not changing cymbals from take to take or things will sound weird.

I normally only punch in where there's a break in the song anyway. I did a punch in during a beat once when I was recording a band at college, but it's not something I'd want to make a habit of. If the drummer isn't good enough to get a song down in 2-3 sections then he shouldn't be in the studio imo.

I normally only punch in where there's a break in the song anyway. I did a punch in during a beat once when I was recording a band at college, but it's not something I'd want to make a habit of. If the drummer isn't good enough to get a song down in 2-3 sections then he shouldn't be in the studio imo.

Well that just isn't a reality when you regularly record bands. There is usually allot of punch in's. It is all a matter of achieving great results.