"Q" settings when EQ'ing Guitar

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I'm just curious what other people are using as typical "Q" settings when EQ'ing Guitar tracks.

I usually highpass at 70Hz and lowpass between 10 and 12kHz. What sort of "Q" value are most of you using for highpass and lowpass filters?

Also, i typically boost a little around 1500 and 3000 Hz, and cut a little around 200 Hz. What sort of Q is in the range of where I want to be?

How much do most of you end up boosting or cutting in terms of dB?

Cheers.

Totally depends on the quality of the sound. Ideally I'll use a more or less gentle HP and LP and that's it. Although if it needs a boost of 12db, don't be afraid to go there. No rules. :)

I think a wider Q works best for boosting most of the time, I think it's more natural sounding. With cuts I don't think it makes as big of a difference. I do some pretty narrow cuts sometimes.

You can't really give general advice on how much to EQ something, the individual sounds dictate what they need and that's about all there is to it.

generally narrow for cutting, wide for boosting,
i normall use two eq'd, one for each purpose; som a surgical one for cutting, and a musical one for boosting