question to proffesional guitarists

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
well ice been playing for long time. but one thing i was never capable of doing- easily finding chords of songs (not metal stuff.) even rock/pop stuff. no matter how many songs i learned by ear and by listening. it always take me a few minuts of trial and error to find if. jow many of you can actually play along with songs easilly? just hearing the chords progression and the key? and do you have any tip for me?

well ice been playing for long time. but one thing i was never capable of doing- easily finding chords of songs (not metal stuff.) even rock/pop stuff. no matter how many songs i learned by ear and by listening. it always take me a few minuts of trial and error to find if. jow many of you can actually play along with songs easilly? just hearing the chords progression and the key? and do you have any tip for me?

if you suck at music theory like me, but have a good ear : trying to isolate the chord by itself in your head, and then trying to decompose it note by note, and then find those notes on your fretboard, and finally adjust the finger positioning/octaves/etc...

Honestly, when it comes to Metalcore/Hardcore/Crabcore, I just play along to that shit without even learning it. I usually end up figuring out the riff before the next verse/chorus/whatever.
But for something like Technical Death Metal, I would have a few listens to it, then look at the tab if its really too intense. A suggestion for you, if you just play Metal, learn the Natural Minor, and Harmonic Minor(1 note difference) if you haven't already.
It would seriously make "guessing" the riffs/chords alot easier and it take 5 minutes to learn????

EDIT: And yea, what Djabthrash said.

i am talking on non-metal song. i find it much harder to find minor/major/diminished chords on funk/pop/jazz music.. thinga mybe like peral jam, radiohead, or even betales lol

http://www.musictheory.net/
Go through the basics of music theory, it's probably the best way to get a decent grasp of identifying different chords and intervals. Once you get to know tonics, subdominants and dominants it'll get much easier. At least to me it's much easier to memorize/learn intervals and chord types if I got something real, like a name, to hold on to. Instead of the ambiguous high or low.
There's a lot of exercises on that site too not just theory.

I'm no pro but I got some experience tabbing and learning by ear. It definitely depends on the song. One I can figure out almost immediately, the other might take a few times, the third might take forever. I'd argue pop songs and alike might be even more difficult to learn by ear because they tend to use chord extensions more instead of simple power chords. And that shit can make it very crowded.

Just comes with time man, don't know what else to say. It is probably a skill that you skipped over when you learned guitar because you listen to too much metal :p Keep trying

It all comes down to theory. Learn the Major scale. I mean actually learn it not just how to play it. It's structure, why it is structured that way, it's interval pattern, etc. Then learn to harmonize it to build chords. It's not hard and doesn't take very long at all. I have no idea why guitarists are so lazy or scared or both when it comes to theory. It's like learning a language but failing to learn how to read or write it.

Once you've done this you will be able to recognize the chord quality as soon as you hear it. Then all you need is to find the root note and you're done.

yes theory is a big matter. i do know theory though. i am learning jazz and chord inverts through the neck etc. but so many songs are not just 2 5 1 or stuff..imagine this. you are on a stage and suddenly your singers start singing some stuiped song like happy birthday or jingle bells and the drummer joins him. i would just shut up and smike. will never be able to guess the chords live

While I agree with music theory being important, you should dedicate time to train you ears through aural training. Intervals, chords progressions, rhythms, etc.

how do you suggest of doing this? just guessing songs didnt really help till now

While I agree with music theory being important, you should dedicate time to train you ears through aural training. Intervals, chords progressions, rhythms, etc.

How do you train your ears without knowing what you are hearing? IMO aural training falls well into the category of theory.