Questions for Zak Stevens - CIIC

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Heya,

need some help with questions for an interview with Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle). Wouldn't really know what to ask him right now. Can you guys help me out ?? Will reward with a virtual beer :kickass:

mmm... Beer.

Ask him how the writing and recording process for the new album went.

What techniques does he use to warm up his voice (if any?)

Can he give any insight as to how he approaches writing melodies for new songs?

Did anything ever become of the Wicked Witch demos, and can he tell us anything else about that band? (that lead to him being picked up by Savatage).

I'm not really sure what to ask him right now, but since I claim Savatage as my all time favorite band, I figure I should come up with a few questions. I'll skip the obligatory "how's the new album" questions. Feel free to use or not use as you see fit.

1) How do you feel that your music has progressed since you've been on your own, compared to what it would have been had you stayed with Savatage?

2) When asked which album is their best, almost every artist chooses the latest, presumably due to a combination of wanting to push the new one and having most recently worked closest with it. Which CIIC album is your favorite and why? Same question, but you can't choose the new one.

3) What's your favorite CIIC song to sing live (why)? Favorite Savatage song?

4) For the past decade, metal has been in decline among US audiences. The fans of the genre are passionate, but their numbers have been little compared to so-called mainstream music. Do you feel the US market is opening back up to metal in general? Do you ever see CIIC having a wide US fan base, or do you feel that your music wouldn't cater to broad enough tastes here in the states?

5) How do you feel when fans clamor for Savatage songs? Do you look at it as a compliment since it was part of your past, or do you feel that it detracts from your CIIC work?

Steve in Philly

From what I understand they're not getting back together (As Savatage anyways).

To my understanding it will be a one-off gig to put the band to rest for good... When I interviewed Zakk last year? Maybe it was two years ago? A gig was in the talking stages, they was even talk about a DVD... I'm curious what the status is at this point...

Anyone clue when the Savatage band of past and present will get together for a full on celebration show?

I'll answer this one for Zak :)

Per Oliva, it won't be happening ANY time in the near or distant future. The part they won't say, and that I can only surmise, is that Paul O'Neil has too much of a hold on the name, and that TSO takes all the priorities.

Carnut - One more question:

1) Do you have much to do with TSO, and if so, when is the next album coming out

*** (to my knowledge, Zak has been on a few songs and is not a major TSO player, but I could be wrong)

Steve in Philly

Thanx for the questions! They are a big help. I'll post here when the interview is available on-line.