Quotes

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I thought these were worth sharing:

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
William James

The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best -- and therefore never scrutinize or question.
Stephen Jay Gould

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.
Mark Twain

Creationists use facts the same way a drunk uses a lightpost: for support instead of illumination
Robert Ingersoll

There is nothing so absurd that it cannot be believed as truth if repeated often enough.
William James

Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen.
Michel de Montaigne

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil---that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg

Zod

so is this one:

so many social engagements, so little time
- john goodman in raising arizona

General Zod said:
Creationists use facts the same way a drunk uses a lightpost: for support instead of illumination
Robert Ingersoll

There is nothing so absurd that it cannot be believed as truth if repeated often enough.
William James

Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen.
Michel de Montaigne

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil---that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg

Excellent! :p

Some of my favorites:

"Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard
"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." - Isaac Asimov
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary, men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." - Joseph Conrad
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell." - Aldous Huxley
"The instinct of nearly all societies is to lock up anybody who is truly free. First, society begins by trying to beat you up." - Jean Cocteau

man who go through airport turnstile sideways, going to Bangkok
- confucious

"A civilization is destroyed only when its gods are destroyed." - Cioran

"A great step forward was made the day men understood that in order to torment one another more efficiently they would have to gather together, to organize themselves into a society." - Cioran

"A marvel that has nothing to offer, democracy is at once a nation's paradise and it's tomb." - Cioran

"Better to be an animal than a man, an insect than an animal, a plant than an insect, and so on. Salvation? Whatever diminishes the kingdom of consciousness and compromises its supremacy." - Cioran

"Each of us is born with a share of purity, predestined to be corrupted by our commerce with mankind, by that sin against solitude." - Cioran

"Ennui is the echo in us of time tearing itself apart." - Cioran

"Freedom can be manifested only in the void of beliefs, in the absence of axioms, and only where the laws have no more authority than a hypothesis." - Cioran

"I feel safer with a Pyrrho than with a St. Paul." - Cioran

"I have always lived with the awareness of the impossibility of living. And what has made existence endurable to me is my curiosity as to how I would get from one minute, one day, one year to the next." - Cioran

"In most cases we attach ourselves to God in order to take revenge on life, to punish it, to signify we can do without it, that we have found something better, and we also attach ourselves to God in horror of men." - Cioran

Intelligence flourishes only in the ages when belief withers. - Cioran

Knowledge, having irritated and stimulated our appetite for power, will lead us inexorably to our ruin. - Cioran

Life inspires more dread than death-it is life which is the great unknown. - Cioran

The "west" - what curse has fallen upon it that at the term of its trajectory it produces only these businessmen, these shopkeepers, these racketeers with their blank stares and atrophied smiles... is it with such vermin as this that a civilization so delicate and so complex must come to an end? - Cioran

etcetc

Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather. - Bill Hicks

A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back, he ever wants to see a fucking cross? Kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on, you know. - Bill Hicks

* I love talking about the Kennedy assassination. The reason I do is because I'm fascinated by it. I'm fascinated that our government could lie to us so blatantly, so obviously for so long, and we do absolutely nothing about it. I think that's interesting in what is ostensibly a democracy. Sarcasm - come on in. People say "Bill, quit talking about Kennedy man. It was a long time ago, just let it go, alright? It's a long time ago, just forget it." I'm like, alright, then don't bring up Jesus to me. As long as we're talking shelf life here... - Bill Hicks

* Christianity has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of Satan by the very fact that it makes you question a belief. It's a very interesting defense mechanism and the only way to get by it -- and believe me, I was raised Southern Baptist -- is to take massive amounts of mushrooms, sit in a field, and just go, "Show me." - Bill Hicks

The worst kind of non-smokers are the ones that come up to you and cough. That's pretty fucking cruel isn't it? Do you go up to cripples and dance too? - Bill Hicks

More poignant quotes about how flawed human beings really are...

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire

"There is alevel of cowardice lower than that of the conformist, the fashionable non-conformist." - Ayn Rand

"I do not feel obliged that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"Nothing has caused the human race more probloems than intelligence." - from Rear Window

And some incredibly truthful observations on politics:

"The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them." - karl Marx (how fucking relevant this remains today!)

"We ahve opted instead for an authoritarian system disguised as democracy. We pay through the nose for an enormous joke of a government, let it push us around, and then wonder how all those assholes got in there." - Frank Zappa

Claws of Perdition said:
ar crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back, he ever wants to see a fucking cross? Kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on, you know. - Bill Hicks

Holy crap, that's the best ever!!!