R.I.P. Warrel Dane

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Nevermore is no more, I guess

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ne...r-warrel-dane-dies-of-heart-attack-in-brazil/

Acclaimed heavy metal singer Warrel Dane, who achieved fame with the bands SANCTUARY and NEVERMORE, died on Wednesday (December 13) in São Paulo, Brazil. The 48-year-old American, who was in the process of making his second solo album, had a heart attack during the night and could not be revived.

Guitarist Johnny Moraes, who was a member of Dane's solo band, was with the singer around midnight when Warrel started to feel bad.

"He died in the night. He had a heart attack," Moraes told Brazil's UOL. "He was in the apartment where he stayed during the recording of the album when it happened. I gave him cardiac massage and we called the Mobile Emergency Care Service (SAMU), who came very fast, but when they arrived, he was already dead."

According to Moraes, Dane had from a history of addictions and health issues. "His health was already very weak because of his diabetes and his problems with alcoholism," he said. "He was already facing a lot of health problems."

The instrumental parts for Dane's second solo album were almost completed and he had begun laying down his vocals shortly before his death. The musicians are thinking about finishing the record with guest singers as a posthumous tribute, but no decision has yet been made.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ne...art-attack-in-brazil.html#cj3D6v9HGQpM6MXS.99

Warrel Dane has apparently died of a heart attack in Brazil. He was in the process of recording an album.

I don't really enjoy Nevermore, but I love Refuge Denied quite a bit. His vocal range seems to have dropped off quite a bit after that album.

I consider myself a fan of Warrel. Yes, His voice changed a lot from the early Sanctuary to Nevermore. I have a couple of live cd's from the original band. Dam, Warrel could hit some high notes.

Sanctuary's "The Year The Sun Died" was my favorite cd of 2014. Great comeback imho.

R.I.P.

NP "The Year The Sun Died"

Reactions: Omni

Let's not forget his super high vocals in Serpent's Knight in the early 1980s.

Reactions: CiG
Sad to hear. I was screwed out of the opportunity to see Nevermore back in 2011, when they pulled out of the tour with Symphony X and went on hiatus soon after with the departure of Jeff Loomis and Van Williams.

By the way, I've noticed a few outlets misreporting Dane's age as 48.

I saw this title but didn't click on it immediately because I assumed he had just done a career-killing collab or something. Unexpected but then again maybe not considering Nevermore's breakup and various allegations. RIP, his vocals in Sanctuary were amazing and still totally unique in Nevermore even if you didn't like them.

Sad to hear. I was screwed out of the opportunity to see Nevermore back in 2011, when they pulled out of the tour with Symphony X and went on hiatus soon after with the departure of Jeff Loomis and Van Williams.

By the way, I've noticed a few outlets misreporting Dane's age as 48.

iirc he's actually even a bit older than what the Metal-Archive's claims, his earliest recordings registered in the US copyright database indicate he was born in the 50s. I forget now because Warrel Dane wasn't his real name and I don't remember what his actual name is.

Reactions: CiG and Omni
The age discrepancy is because The Metal Archives insists that he was born in 1969 instead of 1961.

RIP, his vocals in Sanctuary were amazing and still totally unique in Nevermore even if you didn't like them.

I won't disagree, but it isn't my thing.

They must have fixed it today because it was like that at the time that the story broke.

Yeah same. On the copyright database it's actually saying 1956 now so M-A must have just fixed that recently. One of the mods mentioned it on the M-A's thread on his death, so it must have been something they just fixed/changed.