Rack mounting a computer

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
We figured it'd be cheaper to rack mount our c2d desktop that gets no use rather then buying a laptop. (60 for a rack case isn't bad at all)

Anyone else have done this? This is for touring mind you, there are some possible logistical nightmares involved but if executed correctly could result in flawless use night after night as we've experienced with a laptop so far. But it blows having to use our personal laptops every night.

The best solution for the LCD and keyboard are those 1u consoles but starting at $600 is outrageous.

Anyways, is anyone running this setup live or in the studio?

Im running this rackmount case:
4U22EPS650XR.jpg

In this road case:
466955.jpg

I do a lot of location recording and this does the job nicely. I even have some of my outboard in there. Fully loaded its a bit heavy, but I put some casters on the bottom and problem solved.

Im running this rackmount case:
4U22EPS650XR.jpg

In this road case:
466955.jpg

I do a lot of location recording and this does the job nicely. I even have some of my outboard in there. Fully loaded its a bit heavy, but I put some casters on the bottom and problem solved.

What do you do about the screen? Is that a 4u?

Yea its 4U, and the road case is 8U.

Like I mentioned b4, I do location recording, so it isn't used on stage. So I bring along a small table and set the monitor/keyboard/mouse on it.

However, though its not very tall, I've used the top surface of the road case as a place to set my monitor/keyboard/mouse. Plenty of room up there.

get a fucking good padded case, desktop hard drives are prone to failure when bumped around, even a little. (i guess laptop hard drives too, for that matter.)

Padded case couldn't hurt, but not necessary by any means. Haven't had any problems with my HD's.
Nevertheless, I still back up my sessions to 2 different externals each time (cant be too safe).