Randall MTS series

ptgeek911

Nov 7, 2006
Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a very versatile amp and I came across a thread on gearslutz about it. It seems like an amazing amp. Has anyone used/recorded one? The thing that makes me attracted to it more than any other amp is the swappble modules. I'm really interested in knowing if it records well, because that's what Ill be using it for exclusively. Also, does anyone know of any albums using this amp and what module was used?

We recorded a band that used these amps at a studio I did my internship. They sounded good, very good actually BUT, they lacked character. The modules are nice and all but it's a bit like Line 6's or anyones modeling, they only come that close. Now, it does sound like a good tube amp, but in terms of the modules they all lack the character of the real thing and they all have the same randall flavor to it.

I agree with you there. I had a RM100 for awhile and had the Clean, Blackface, SL+, XTC, Recto, Ultra Lead, & 1086 modules. As far as the design of the amp goes it is a great concept but the difference between the amp being good and really great lies in the preamp modules. The head itself is fully MIDI capable, you have the ability to measure and bias each individual power tube with external bias points, & each module is a totally seperate channel with it's own EQ section. It looks like there are guys out there that are modding the modules now and getting alot better tones out of them since I had mine. The best place to get info on these amps is on the MTS forum at www.grailtone.com. Hope that helps.