Randall XL cabs - 'Mic Eliminator'

Benny H

Degenerate
Nov 6, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Anyone had the chance to check this out?

Designed by Randall and amp guru Bruce Egnater, the new "Mic Eliminator" will be featured in all XL/XLT and Custom MTS cabinets beginning January 2004. You will then be able to simply connect a single (mono) or dual (stereo) XLR cable(s) directly to the mixing console from the rear of your cabinet.

Randall has designed their circuitry to closely match the frequency curve of a mic'd version of the cabinet. Rather than a generic cabinet simulator, you will get something engineered specifically to sound like that particular cabinet.

Randall-Mic-Eliminator-sm.jpg

I'm just doing a bunch of pre-shopping research, thought this was an interesting feature. If it puts out a decent sound, I could see it being handy to have tracked. Would be a nice option in a live situation too. But that's all a big "if.."

Any comment on Randall cabs in general welcome also!

I have 2 of these cabs. I think they're killer for live sound. They are ok for tracking because you can set one cab to "bright" and the other to "dark" and get a cool on/off axis sound. Very well built cab also.

Yeah, who here tried the Isolation Cab ? Is it worth the money ? By this I mean :
- does it really lower the volume by a huge amount
- how does it sound when tracking, no problem with reflections inside the box and stuff ?

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Yeah, who here tried the Isolation Cab ? Is it worth the money ? By this I mean :
- does it really lower the volume by a huge amount
- how does it sound when tracking, no problem with reflections inside the box and stuff ?

The biggest problem I found with the Iso cab is that it is a 1x12. Whilst in (basic) theory it should sound the same as mic'ing up one speaker on a 4x12, it doesn't and it lacks the full sound and bass response you get from a 4x12.

I have an ISO cab I run at home with a Pittbull UL.
I like it a lot bud I had to do some work to it.

As it shipped it sounded like shit......I ripped out the cheap, shite sound proofing they used and replaced it with Auralex studio foam. It went from unusable to sounding great with this little mod. I can't believe Randall was selling it the way they had it conditioned from the factory is sounded so bad. ......I'm currently recoding my bands CD so maybe I can get you a clip soon with the ISO cab.

I also replaced the Vintage 30 with a 75 watt celestion.

No....I wasn't the one that posted a review over there, but I did get some good advice about it over in their HC Amp Forum when I posted my disatisfaction of it and was contemplating selling it. Someone there knew someone else that retreated the inside of the cabinet with soundfoam and that did the trick them. My girfriend works at Guitar Center so I had her bring home some Auralex and now it sounds great.

Volume wise it probaly knocks down about 85% of the total volume.

On another note......I tried to deal with Randall twice and the first time the tech wasn't very bright and completly unhelpful. The second time was by email and got no response back. It's pictured on their web stie with a nice fully adjustable goose neck for mics and it ships with this gay fixed unajustable mic holder(aimed for the the seam of a V30).

I was never a big Randall fan.

85% !!! Wow !!!
How much would it cost to treat it with this Auralex foam (which one is it by the way) ?
Do you have a picture of yours ? Would be very interested in seeing it (and the gay mic holder). By the way, plugin in 100W amp into only one V30 isn't a bit risky ?

no pic at the moment.........

I run a 120 watt VHT UL through mine......I thought the 75 watt celestion would handle the power a little better than the V30 and I really like the sound of the 75 watt celestion over the V30 in most cases.

I just used 2-2x4 squares of Auarlex....the kind that diffuses the sound and custom cut it to fill the inside of the cabinet.

Giving this a necro-bump to ask Brett (7 years later) :lol: did you end up getting or testing this (either the XL cab, or the ISO box)?

To follow up, I hung out at the Randall forums a lot for the past few years. The Mic eliminator basically models a V30 and I've heard of many great experiences using it live.

I have the Mic Eliminator on my Randall R212CB. I tested it only once. It sounded like diarrhea.

^+1 yea it sounds like total dog shit. I had one on my V2 head. It's really really bad cabinet modeling, just like a crappy LP filter.

ex:

Last edited by a moderator: