Randy Rhoads type Jacksons

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Randy Rhoads type Jacksons. I'm debating whether to buy one and want to know more about the different models (RR1, RR3, RR5?). Please provide lots of details and what have you as I'm pretty lost.

well i have a rr3 white sharkfin, and well, I love it. Since I got it off of ebay, I think I need some new pickups, but overall it plays really well and brings with it all of the Jackson fanatics seem to love.

All I know other than that was that Randy Rhoads was the man, and that the music world misses him. Good luck with your new axe, man.

Well, I don't know all, but I do know a bit. =)

The original Rhoads was a neck-thru, so ideally a "true" Rhoads should be also, but there are also lower priced bolt-on models.
* All Rhoadses are 22 fret (unfortunately), except a few very rare limited edition models.
* Most Rhoadses are also front-routed with a pickguard (unfortunately).

Current models:

Jackson RR1:
* Made in USA (built in the Jackson custom shop).
* Quartersawn maple neck-thru, alder or poplar body wings.
* Original Floyd Rose.
* Black hardware.
* Duncan pickups (JB and '59 I think).
* Bound ebony fretboard w. MOP sharkfin inlays.
Variants: RR1T (tune-o-matic + string-thru)

Jackson RR3:
* Made in Japan.
* Bolt-on maple neck, poplar body.
* Licensed Floyd Lo-Pro clone.
* "Duncan Designed" pickups (you'll probably want to replace these).
* Chrome hardware.
* Non-bound rosewood fretboard w. fake MOP sharkfins.
Variants: RR3R (reverse headstock, no longer produced)

Jackson RR5:
* Made in Japan.
* Maple neck-thru, poplar or alder body wings.
* Tune-o-matic + string-thru.
* "Duncan Designed" pickups.
* Gold hardware.

Jackson RX10D:
* Periodically made in India (AVOID!). Recent ones made in Japan (good).
* Rear-routed electronics (no pickguard).
* Licensed Floyd Lo-Pro clone.
* "Duncan Designed" pickups.
* Chrome hardware.

Older models:

Jackson Rhoads Pro:
* Made in Japan.
* Licenced Floyd by Schaller.
* Jackson pickups w. active on-board preamp.
* Black hardware.
* Bound ebony fretboard w. MOP sharkfins.

Jackson Rhoads Std:
* Made in Japan.
* Licenced Lo-Pro Floyd copy.
* Jackson pickups (replace).
* Black hardware.
* Non-bound rosewood fretboard w. dot inlays.

Jackson Rhoads EX:
* Made in Japan.
* Rear-routed electronics (no pickguard).
* Licensed Floyd clone.
* Jackson pickups (very bad, replace).
* Black hardware.
* Non-bound rosewood fretboard w. dot inlays.

There are others as well, that I don't know very much about. Plus, I've omitted the more rare limited edition versions from the custom shop. =P

'bane

I've got a Rhoads, I'm not sure what model it is though. I got it used at Guitar Center for 280 bucks, and it has a bolt-on neck, non-bound rosewood fretboard, dot inlays, Floyd Rose, black hardware, and Jackson Pickups. the headstock sayd "Performer" on it next to the Jackson logo. Honestly, it has a slightly warped neck that provides some string buzz on the 1st-5 frets, but other than that, I love it. It's just so damn...metal.

i would go for the RR1. i didnt like the 5 as much as 1. i guess you cant beat the original
~gR~

Charubic Murder said:
Hey Bane, which of the Randy Rhoads guitars do you prefer?
Well, out of those listed, nothing beats an RR1 for features. I don't own one - heck, I've never even played one - but if I had unlimited funds at my disposal, that is the model I would get (actually, I would order a RR1T, with the fixed bridge).

When it comes to the bolt-on guitars, they're pretty much equal, except maybe for the early RX10D's(?). I own an early RR3. Here's a little mini-review:

Tremolo:
The licenced Floyds on the low-line Jackson guitars are good, but they wear out faster than an original Floyd. Mine is in need of replacement now, but I don't have the cash for a real Floyd yet. If you buy a bolt-on Rhoads used, be aware that the trem may not be in the best condition.

Pickups:
The Jackson pickups in my guitar just flat-out sucked and needed replacement. I have two EMG's in it now and it sounds great! The newer RR3's come with better pickups than the early ones - "Duncan Designed" - which I've heard described as being "decent". A lot of people are replacing them with EMG's or real Seymour Duncans though.

I had an EX very briefly - very nice guitar, felt very "solid" with good craftmanship. It also had the sucky Jackson pickups and the licensed trem. The difference between that and the RR3 (besides the visual features) is that the RR3 has a slightly slimmer neck. The Rhoads EX is a good alternative if you want a guitar without the pickguard, and they are fairly easy to find used.

'bane

plfffffft said:
I've got a Rhoads, I'm not sure what model it is though. I got it used at Guitar Center for 280 bucks, and it has a bolt-on neck, non-bound rosewood fretboard, dot inlays, Floyd Rose, black hardware, and Jackson Pickups. the headstock sayd "Performer" on it next to the Jackson logo. Honestly, it has a slightly warped neck that provides some string buzz on the 1st-5 frets, but other than that, I love it. It's just so damn...metal.

I think that model's name is PS3. It's part of the performer family of Jackson guitars. I try to stay away from those since some of them were built in Korea, though I don't know if the PS3 was built there or in Japan.

'bane

I have an RR1 and I love it. Its a wonderful guitar. But if I could do it all over again, I think I would have purchased an RR1T over again. I dont like floyd that much. :doh:

basically, if you can afford it, go for the Jackson USA guitars-
RR1, KE2(Kelly), KV2(King V), WR1(warrior)

They are very well made guitars that sound and play like nothing else.

The only step up would be a Jackson Custom, and..darnit...one day I will have the cash for that!(I currently have a USA Kelly)

Sunbane said:
I think that model's name is PS3. It's part of the performer family of Jackson guitars. I try to stay away from those since some of them were built in Korea, though I don't know if the PS3 was built there or in Japan.

'bane

It's a PS3T, and as far as I know the newer ones at least are all built in Japan.

I have played a RR1T once and it was the most gorgeous guitar I've ever tried...

I've also played a RR3 once, it was a decent guitar and nice for the price. However I don't like tremolos...
Pickups are ok, tend to get a little muddy though.