Rank the PP4 bands

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
1. Evergrey (My 2nd favorite band... new album slays)
2. Symphony X (My 3rd favorite band... saw them last night and it was amazing)
3. Secret Sphere (This band is awesome. The new album will be a monster.)
4. Vanden Plas (They're ok. "Far Off Grace" is a good album, but I didn't like the new one at all.)
5. Mercenary (Only heard one song, "Seize the Night". It was moderately enjoyable.)
6. Redemption (I wanna like this album, but I just can't get into it. Seems a bit bland.)
7. Nightwish (They have a couple songs I like. But most of it bores me. Don't like the vocals.)
8. Pagan's Mind (Can't get into these guys.)
9. Circle 2 Circle (Never heard them, but I hate Savatage.)
10. Rage (bleh)

Though there are not many bands I like on this list... it features 2 of my top 3 bands and a fantastic up-and-comer in Secret Sphere.

Even though I think this is the weakest PP bill yet, it still slays any other festival's bill. Thanks for everything, Glenn!

1. Symphony X - brilliant, but I've seen them four times already...
2. Evergrey - not bad, but certainly not as good as everyone makes out. The albums all sound VERY similar.
3. Vanden Plas - average, but not worth driving 8 hours to see. Let's hope for war so they drop out again and get replaced by someone with balls.
4. Nightwish - those vocals, aarrgh!
5. The rest I've never heard of - so I'm hoping there might be some hidden treasures in the pack.

I sound cynical because I'm still in shock of how bad the lineup is this year compared to all the other years.

Oh well, at least I won't be carrying all my CD covers to get signed this year. Evergrey signed all mine last year.

1. Symphony X - These guys are incredible musicians. In my opinion Rusell Allen has to be one of the greatest vocalist in the planet today. Romeo, Pinella and company...shit what more can you ask for? They are just below Dream Theater in my eyes but with much better vocalist.

2. Nightwish - Maybe it's because I have a thing for Tarja :) Actually I might be the minority here but I really enjoy some of the strong female vocals in metal or in general. The band is very tight and with the addition of Tarot's bass player it gives Nightwish a whole new dimension

3. Evergrey - A friend of mine turned me on to to In Search of Truth and just really got me into these guys. I have all of their other releases and should be getting the new one any day now! :)

4. Vanden Plas - They covered Marillion and did a good job on it. It took me a while to get used to them but overall I wouldn't have ranked them as high unless I really new the rest of the bands.

As for the other bands, I am in the process of picking some of this stuff up. I heard Pagans Mind and they are starting to grow on me, other then some mp3's I have downloaded, I am awaiting their discs that I ordered. I guess a 5th spot goes here. Mercenary, Redemption, Rage, Circle II Circle are bands that I am just starting to discover so I don't want to comment on them just yet! :)

1. Symphony X - Rule! Seem them once so far and after getting all their albums, I'm convinced that Russel Allen is one of the best vocalist in metal today.
2. Vanden Plas - Another favorite of this genre. Being a keyboard player, I like Gunthers sound and I think their songs have plenty of power. Their live album is incredible!
3. Evergrey - Easily a top 10 band for me, don't have the new one yet...but will purchase it with much anticipation.
4. Circle II circle - I'm a Zakk Stevens fan. Savatage is one of my faves and very curious to how this sounds.
5. I know I don't like Nightwish's vocals,but they're a good band.
6. The rest of the pack.
7. I'm going for the first 3
8. the rest
9. are just
10. a bonus

Hopefully, I'll leave there with at least two more favorites!!!

1-Rage: I have waited so long to see them live. Unity is one of best metal albums this millenium
2-Evergrey: New album is amazing!
3-Symphony X: One of my favorite bands, but have seen them twice already.
4-Nightwish: Didn't like last album very much, but first two kick ass
5-Pagan's Mind: Biggest surprise of last year
6-Vanden Plas: Wanted to see them at PPII
7-Secret Sphere: Great power metal.
8-10- Mercenary, Redemption, Cicrle II Circle: Have to check them out.
4-Nightwish:

Rage : Dont know much about them.. from what I've heard... i didnt get into them at all.. we'll see...

Symphony X : One of my favorites. Top 5 for me... Russell Allen is a kickass vocalist.. Has the better vocals in metal today.. The rest is rest.. By the way, Romeo RULES!!

Nightwish : Awesome band, hottest vocalist ever (Sorry Angela..) and some great tunes... Definitely worth it.. And I like the vocals...

Vanden Plas : Good Progmetal.. It was a very nice pick.. Looking forward to see them live...

Secret Sphere : Well, there's no need to say much.. They fucking RULE!!!

Evergrey : In my opinion one of the best bands in the bill... Even though they spilled the beans, I was waiting for the final word... =)

The rest I really don't know much enough to rate them, but I'm looking forward to see all of the bands... Especially Circle II Circle...
Progpower IV definitely will be worth it the trip from Connecticut...

1. Symphony X - my 2nd favorite band.
2. Evergrey - my 4th favorite band.
3. Vanden Plas - the last three CDs were all amazing.
4. Pagan's Mind - the best new band on the planet.
5. Mercenary - these guys kick ass. "Seize the Night" was one of the best songs of 2002.
6. Circle 2 Circle - can't wait to hear Zack live.
7. Redemption - can't wait to hear Corey live.
8. Nightwish - I'm not really that into them, but hearing Tarja live should be cool.
9. Rage - not that familiar with their stuff.
10. Secret Sphere - not that familiar with their stuff.

GZ

1. Rage
2. Vanden Plas
3. Nightwish
4. Pagan's Mind
(actually I want to see my top 4 equally)
5. Evergrey (seen them before but excited)
6. Symphony X (seen them before but excited)
7. Circle to Circle
8. Redemption (don't know)
9. Secret Sphere (don't Know)
10. Mercenary (don't know)

1. SYMPHONY X!!!! I'm definitely going to Atlanta to see this band.
2. Evergrey>>> awsome
3. Nightwish>>>another killer band

4.Pagan's mind>>> the only song I have from then is Aegan shores and is kicking my ass
5. Vanden plas>>> I have Cold wind and there is no effect yet.
for the rest of them I will download songs of them and see....

4. Nightwish - those vocals, aarrgh!

Wow, I think you're crazy. Can't believe anyone wouldn't love her vox. Tarja alone is worth the price of admission.

But it's all about opinions, so I'll shut up now.

Here's my list:

1) Evergrey--Can't stop listening to ISOT, RD just arrived from amazon. Incredible Prog/Power hybrid act. It's never been done better than this.

2) Nightwish--Nobody can match the melodic force of this band. At times, I geniunely get swept away--very few bands can do that to me after all these years.

3) Symphony X--I won't bore anyone with details. Everyone already knows how much ass these guys kick.

4) Pagan's Mind--Great new album, vox are in the Tate vein, but the music is heavier and the songwriting has much to keep me interested.

5) Rage--Been listening to Peavy since the early days. It's a "mood band" for me, I want to hear them when I'm in the mood for something strange & alien (it's hard to explain, I'm just weird). You can bet when they hit the stage in Atlanta, I'll find a way to be in that mood :)

6) The Rest: don't know. And I like it that way, too.

--S

I'll rank mine in order of my personal excitement to see them live:

10. Redemption (not because I don't like them, but because I don't know them...yet)
09. Pagan's Mind (Dream Theater clonery ain't my thing)
08. Circle II Circle (any band with ex-Savatage members can't be all bad)
07. Nightwish (not even in my top 50 bands to see live, but I'm nearly certain they'll put on a tremendous performance; plus Tarja's way hot)
06. Mercenary (an excellent power/extreme hybrid band, and the type of "surprise" that keeps me coming back to PP)
05. Secret Sphere (symphonic Italian neoclassical power metal? Sign me up)
04. Rage (I've honestly never liked this band, but now I'm getting more and more curious, which translates into excitement...time to grab some of their earlier albums)
03. Evergrey (uh, 'nuff said)
02. Vanden Plas (probably my favorite prog band and I cannot wait to hear them pull off those vocal harmonies in a pristine setting like Earthlink Live)
01. Symphony X (double 'nuff said - well worthy of the headlining spot...plus, I have my fingers crossed for "The Odyssey" live)

Dieblo said:
5. Vanden plas>>> I have Cold wind and there is no effect yet.

That isn't one of their better songs. From the new album get either Nightwalker or Beyond Daylight. Overall I'd have to say Rainmaker, I Can See and Into The Sun are good representations of their sound, Rainmaker is probably their best song IMO.

markgugs said:
01. Symphony X (double 'nuff said - well worthy of the headlining spot...plus, I have my fingers crossed for "The Odyssey" live)

At the Cleveland show earlier this week, Russ said they'd promise to play The Odyssey for us when they got back from Europe, so I'd say there's a good chance we'd get that for PP :).

Riceloft said:
At the Cleveland show earlier this week, Russ said they'd promise to play The Odyssey for us when they got back from Europe, so I'd say there's a good chance we'd get that for PP :).

Hehe, at the show in Chicago someone shouted "Odyssey!!" from the crowd and Russ started laughing :)

I'd like to see them do it, but we'll see if they are willing to eat up that much set time on one track (awesome as it is).

--S