Rate My Mix - Atmospheric Death Metal

aheadofmetal

Apr 23, 2009
Hey Guys I just finished an EP playing all the instruments. Everything was tracked live except the drums which I used Fruity Loops (suprisingly).

I'm looking for some feedback so let me know what you think of the mix/master/songs/style etc.

It is available for free so don't be afraid to download it if you like it ;) haha

Thanks a bunch!

http://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/

I love the music, definitely going to download this one. Reminds me a bit of Daylight Dies but is unique to anything I've heard before.

I think the mix works well, particularly for the style of music. It does sound a bit muddy at times perhaps from the guitars in the 300hz range. But I'm surprised that the drums were done in FL. I have tried to get good programmed drums out of it for years and never got anything like that.

Thanks for the reply and kind words Elvis. I think my ear is in love with 300-500 hz, because I cut there often and still have lots of energy in that region. I will definitely keep that in mind on the next one though!

Anyone else want to rip on my mix? Or have suggestions about making it better? Some things I think I struggle with are vocal production/chain and cymbal tone....

Nice work, great sound! I like your music.
The cymbal panning is a bit annoying IMO. When listening with headphones it feels like the drumset is all over the place, instead of giving the illusion that there's a real drummer/set in front of me. Opinions... Keep up the good work.

No, I appreciate the criticism CountPuke! I totally agree. I struggle with getting a live drum feel. Especially in the cymbals...I think it is mostly due to the fact that I am using random samples through fruity loops and I don't have any way of panning the bleed so the cymbals sound completely isolated. I've been thinking of upgrading to superior drummer but I worry that it will end up sounding like every other metal CD out right now. Does anyone have advice on this? Is Superior drummer worth it? Should I just bite the bullet and track live drums next time?