Rate my voice (Wintersun content)

P-E

Munchkin
Jul 31, 2008
Montreal, QC
Here are my screaming vocals, just recorded it with a cheap karaoke mic over Winter Madness by Wintersun (melodic death metal) which was obviously scooped to make place for my vocals.

Please ignore the mix and comment on the vocals, thank you! :kickass:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1149356/lawl winter.mp3

edit: Uhm yeah there's a mistake, it's supposed to say "Distant caress of the sun's fading light" but I said "Distant caress from [...]", sorry.

lol are you shure you replaced to vocals? cause if you're the loud voice and not the one in the background ur DAMN close to jari.
in that case: holy fuck then

Not bad, but you need to open up your voice a bit. Sounds very dark and withdrawn. Singing more with the front of your mouth/nasal cavity will get you a bit more brightness and bite.

Also, no offense, but you don't sound that close to Jari's voice...

Darker and not as much snarl as Jari's, which is part of why I love him.

Not bad, just a bit characterless? I'm not hearing much "guy" in there, just distorted vocal chords. I want moar personality!

That's what I needed, and I know I don't sound as good (and open or articulate or anything) as him for sure. :p

Thanks a lot for the tips Matt and Jeff, I'm seriously gonna work over that, adding intensity and refining my technique so it sounds a bit brighter (adding snarl).

Loved your vocals in Ruins by the way Jeff. Cool voice on Alas, Tyranny, Matt ; I'll follow your advice to the core, as your vocals are obviously brighter than mine and in the direction of what I'm trying to achieve.

Loved your vocals in Ruins by the way Jeff.

Cheers man, definitely a different style than you're doing tho! I go for more of a super pissed off lumberjack roar, as my scream is too anemic to be used for anything but layering!

Got me thinking though; how much air are you projecting, and how loud is your scream?

Sounds pretty cool dude, hard to tell at times whether complaints I have with the sound are the result of something you're doing vocally or just the fact that I'm hearing two vocal parts simultaneously but not always perfectly sync'ed up; seems like pretty crazy music that would be difficult to cover, but you really should try so you have an instrumental backing track to "sing" :)D) along to (maybe use another song?)

Cheers man, definitely a different style than you're doing tho! I go for more of a super pissed off lumberjack roar, as my scream is too anemic to be used for anything but layering!

Got me thinking though; how much air are you projecting, and how loud is your scream?

You remind me a bit of a less controlled (not in the technical sense, more emotional) Michael Stanne, whereas my natural death vocals are more similar to Jari's ones, I'm not saying they are really similar and all to his though. Just saying they're some of the closest ones I can identify right now.

But yeah, I'm projecting a lot of air, but I'm not totally screaming at the top of my lungs. I do think I scream pretty loud though.

I probably need to work on my technique, however I also do think the karaoke mic doesn't accurately show my vocals to the extent a 58 or SM7B or [insert popular vocal mic here] would though ; it's kind of a dark and crap mic in itself (hence the agressive eqing that sounds unnatural).

edit: IIRC I had a cold though, I might record something new when all is sorted.