Reamped Guitar Issues (Phase/Correlation)

EachHit

ScytheBeast
Dec 21, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I am having kind of some problems with reamped Guitars.

As I started recording I almost used only AmpSims but I wanted to try real recordings. So I took some of my very old recordings and tried to reamp them.

The Chain is from my DAW (Pro Tools) via the left Stereo Output of my Yamaha N12 through a Palmer Reamping Box into my Boss MT Distortion Pedal into my Engl Thunderhead. I then recorded two microphones (SM57 and i3).
I have done this for 2 Guitar Tracks, so I got 4 Tracks in my Daw.
The Phase seems to be ok cause when I turn the Phase on every track, one by one, the whole Guitar Sounds gets VERY thin.

On my StereoOutput I got the TT Dynamic Range Meter and it tends to be 0 when I solo my GuitarGroupTrack. It's also moving from minus to plus. When the Drums came in and the Bass then the Meter moves more to the +1. But it sounds kinda weird sometimes.
It's not that thick Guitar Sound I am looking for. The Guitar sounds kinda Phasy or delayed to me.

Maybe someone can help me out how to achieve a better sound.

Heavy Greetz

How are your distances and angles with your micros ?

Both Mics were pretty close to the Cab. One on the inside and another on the outside ring of the Speaker.
I also had a NT1 a few feets away but this is always sounding "phasy" so I just dropped it.

Heavy Greetz

If you are a beginner to micing real cabinets, start with one mic until you have mic placement down to a science. Starting out with two just makes things way more complicated.

If you are a beginner to micing real cabinets, start with one mic until you have mic placement down to a science. Starting out with two just makes things way more complicated.

I started with Micing only with the SM57 but I wasn't able to get a full sound with just only one Guitar/Mic panning LR.

Seems I have to try out a little more.

Heavy Greetz

If they are pretty old recordings its gonna be more difficult for you to remember what you did to the tracks (editing etc) .
Id just retrack performance and remove doubt .
You might be able to do that quicker than the time it takes to trawl through loads of other causes .

If they are pretty old recordings its gonna be more difficult for you to remember what you did to the tracks (editing etc) .
Id just retrack performance and remove doubt .
You might be able to do that quicker than the time it takes to trawl through loads of other causes .

Rerecording the Tracks is by now not an option. There were no Edits on the DI's or so. Just right in my Interface and that's it.
It would take me much too long to recreate what I was playing. I am not a very good Guitar Player and it always takes me a lot of time to just record some basic riffs which aren't too sloppy.
Maybe I will just live with the Sound or try to reamp it again.
Seems all to be part of the learning process. I shouldn't expect that everything could be great sounding with some plugins or editing.

Heavy Greetz