izzyrock

Chilean Rocker
Dec 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.javierbassino.com
This is a demo with Recabinet.
www.soundclick.com/jbassino

Some impressions when doing it:

- Somehow, IR's are extremely dark . I found myself boosting quite a bit top end
- Bass response is great, but had to use my amp with less bass than usual.

Overall sound good, but like I said, it sounds very dark (Im using 1.03 version)
Maybe its something related to the deconvolving process.

Shane: Can you compare a take with the same mic position used on the IR, and then, the IR itself.. If they sound identical to you. then the impulses itself are dark.. like because of the room, bad mic, preamp, or whatever

- Somehow, IR's are extremely dark . I found myself boosting quite a bit top end

Not all IR's are "dark". ReCabinet impulses are dark. Way too dark for my tastes. I bought ReCabinet as well and I'm currently awaiting a fix for this problem. I'm also awaiting ReCabinet vs miced speaker clips Kazrog promised us.

Not all IR's are "dark". ReCabinet impulses are dark. Way too dark for my tastes. I bought ReCabinet as well and I'm currently awaiting a fix for this problem. I'm also awaiting ReCabinet vs miced speaker clips Kazrog promised us.
+1, for the time being could someone help me equing recabinet to sound right? I'm using a +5db boost from 3khz upward, still not condifent. maybe some could post a curve eq file?
EDIT: tried to apply the guitarhack highend to the Ghandi 412 (Mesa StandardOversize 4×12) > 6L6 57 cap grill.wav
notice the enormous boost of 12db? http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/314510/recabinet_more_high_end.cqs

Not to intentionally be a bastard, but I really think there's something inherently wrong with the Recabinet impulses. You really shouldn't need to do that much alteration to the tone to seat it properly. There is something generally not quite right sounding about them to me, despite how much I want to like and use them. Even after the high boosts, there still seems to be a cupped, phasey sound about them.

Not to intentionally be a bastard, but I really think there's something inherently wrong with the Recabinet impulses. You really shouldn't need to do that much alteration to the tone to seat it properly. There is something generally not quite right sounding about them to me, despite how much I want to like and use them. Even after the high boosts, there still seems to be a cupped, phasey sound about them.

Moon, I don't think you're being a bastard at all. I totally agree with your comments. Lets just hope Kazrog gets his impulses right eventually.

As for the "dark sound" issue - an update that includes brighter versions is being worked on as we speak, and is planned to be issued before new year's. It will be a free download for all registered users, and the demo will be updated as well.

It's worth noting that these impulses sound exactly like what was captured, and that nothing was altered during deconvolution or any other step. That means that the fix is requiring new impulses to be captured. The problem is related to the "flat" EQ settings used universally on the power amp to capture all the impulses. This was a mistake and we are taking a more scientific approach going forward.

I'm very sorry about this, it was definitely not foreseeable in the initial product testing. There's nothing "bastard" about constructive criticism - it's helping a better product emerge for everyone faster. Thanks for being patient while this gets sorted out! :kickass:

PS - Miked cabinet vs. impulse comparison clips are on the way soon as well.

As for the "dark sound" issue - an update that includes brighter versions is being worked on as we speak, and is planned to be issued before new year's. It will be a free download for all registered users, and the demo will be updated as well.

It's worth noting that these impulses sound exactly like what was captured, and that nothing was altered during deconvolution or any other step. That means that the fix is requiring new impulses to be captured. The problem is related to the "flat" EQ settings used universally on the power amp to capture all the impulses. This was a mistake and we are taking a more scientific approach going forward.

I'm very sorry about this, it was definitely not foreseeable in the initial product testing. There's nothing "bastard" about constructive criticism - it's helping a better product emerge for everyone faster. Thanks for being patient while this gets sorted out! :kickass:

Hi Shane ;)

I think the same as Moonlapse, they have great potential but something went wrong in the process.

I like them because they sound very alive, but that phase/darkness issue is impairing me to use them on all my recordings, as the notes get lost in the mix.

I really look forward for an update ;)

Best regards!!
-Erik

And did you crank the volume when you recorded the IR, to get the poweramp voicing?

All of the impulses were recorded in a pro studio at high, album level volumes.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the convolution/deconvolution process specifically, but months of R&D were used to determine the best methods for getting the most realistic sound.

That's great to hear.

It's very heartening to know that you always seem to be doing the utmost to satisfy the user base, even if that means reworking an immense amount of the product.

I really look forward to future versions, and hope that at some stage something that's usable for myself and others that feel the same is found.