Reco: Orenda - The Funeral

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
9031050c246c49c67c13d97ad393677f.jpg

Orenda - The Funeral
No Colours Records - 2007

This, the first band from Bulgaria ever to grace my collection, plays a bone-chilling brand of hypnotic, one-riff-per-song black metal, carrying their bitter melodies over miles and miles without ever inviting tediousness, helped in that by a decent use of subdued keyboards and clever alterations of tones and rhythm - always into the mid-paced range though. This album at times resembles Drudkh's more escapist moments with a much darker mood - funereal is the word, probably - crowned by fleshless vocals. One of my best blind picks ever.

Tracklist
01. A Dead Colours
02. The Funeral
03. Revival
04. The Plague

I listened to The Funeral, and I quite liked it. The droning sounded a bit like Velvet Cacoon. I like how they subtly add more into their drone riff over the course of the song. I'm glad to see the album is only 33 minutes long though, because this style would get boring if it were an hour long.

EDIT: Good reco

This is pretty decent stuff. Like you mentioned in the review, they're playing a style that has been done before, but they do it well. These types of songs usually fly by and are done before you know it. Such is the hypnotic effect, but credit to them if its not done well, it would get boring. People that liked Raventale would probably like this. Anyway, solid recc, but i liked the Ossein one much better :loco: