Recomindations for thrash guitarist

Growler

w00t
Dec 22, 2004
dublin
Hi all, im into the thrash scene and stuff and was wondering if you guys could help me choose the right amp and guitar model for a early metallica/megadeth/slayer kinda sound, all help appreciated! :Spin:

[COLOR=Slate Gray]As far as the bands you listed, Slayer and Megadeth use Marshalls and Metallica did on Kill 'Em All before switching to Mesas. I'd suggest if you want a chunky thrash sound, there's no better choice than a hot-rodded Marshall JCM-800. They're all over e-Bay, but if that's not in your price range (they go anywhere from $500-$1,000), I'd say you might want to start with a Marshall MG-series. You can get a pretty decent thrash sound out of them if you don't have alot of money.

For guitars, I'd say choose between these brands: BC Rich, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, Kramer. It doesn't matter too much, but if you wanna play early thrash you're gonna want a thin neck, maybe a Floyd Rose (unless you've never had a Floyd, then stay far away from them, they're a huge pain in the ass), and 24 frets. Getting new pickups might really help too. Metallica and Slayer use EMGs, but I don't like the idea of active (battery-powered) pickups, and they're pretty expensive. Dave Mustaine uses a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I also use Duncans (JB/'59) and they work fine for me, and are alot less expensive to buy and to install as EMGs.

Here are some products I'd recommend:
- Ibanez RG-321 guitar
- BC Rich Platinum Series guitars
- Jackson JS-30
- Kramer Barettas and Strikers (www.musicyo.com)
- ESP 100-series
- Seymour Duncan JB pickup
- Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer overdrive pedal

If you want to go old school Metallica a Gibson Explorer or Flying V would work well too . . .

if all you're looking for is a rough early 80's thrash sound, you could probably do so with a marshall jcm 800 head and 4x12 cab and like an old epiphone flying v... should be able to get all of this for under $1000

I would definitly not get a marshall mg, I bought one when I didn't know anything about tone and now I would never use one if you can't afford the jcm though, I would go with something solid state and a metal zone pedal or something similar and an eq pedal