Recommendation: Ayuo/Ohta Hiromi - Red Moon

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
Ayuo/Ohta Hiromi - Red Moon (2004, Tzadik Records)

B000127Z4Q.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1. Tsuki to Mizu (Moon and Water)
2. Yume Utsutsu (Dreaming Away)
3. Takeda no Komori uta (Takeda Lullaby)
4. Haru no Yume (Spring Dream)
5. One Step Further
6. Niwa no Chigusa (A Thousand Different Grasses in the Garden)
7. Yoru wo Koete (Beyond the Night)

From the label:
Ayuo is one of Japan’s great originals, having walked his own unusual path for over twenty years. His second CD for Tzadik is a charming and hypnotic collaboration with one of Japan’s most beautiful vocalists, pop star Ohta Hiromi. Touching upon various world music traditions, beautiful folk ballads and psychedelic raves, Red Moon is a lush and seductive collection of contemporary song.

I like this stuff. This isn't a style that I'm too familiar with so it's not as easy to analyze as metal has become, but I like it and want to hear more!

Hell yes! I found this album a few weeks ago and was actually considering making a recommendation thread for it. Extremely excellent choice! :D

I'm eager to check this out, I've heard the name before but never heard any of the music. I remember reading one review that compared one Ayuo album to a cross between Goblin and Keiji Haino. Your review doesn't make it seem like this release is on that same level of eccentricity as Haino, but maybe in general people just associate hurdy gurdy + japan = Haino. Plus, Tzadik is mostly consistent with quality releases. Thanks for the quality recommendation, I'll let you know what I think when I get around to hearing the samples, after work, school, blah blah.

Chromatose said:
hurdy gurdy + japan = Haino.

I've always made this association. in fact, i never knew what a hurdy gurdy was until I was introduced to Mr. Haino through his collaborations with Boris. and i bet i'm not the only one either :loco:

edit: can anyone tell me about another japanese band, Niwa? Used to be called Chonuka no Niwa or something and had something going with Boris, but they changed name and released a full length at some point. anyone heard it? like it? rub their genitals with it?

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below

Got it to work...

This bint's voice is extraordinary and the violin is always a welcome addition to any song. It almost reminds me of something from Thunder Perfet Mind sans Tibet's vocals.

Beautiful. Went in with an air of unease, a worry there would be big electronic leanings to be found, a la Talvin Singh (with a tad bigger dash of east asian? -- I think "psychedelic raves" was the scare point), but it's tastefully done as to preserve that traditional and folk base throughout, and not drop the sincerity in favor of a style that'll get the doped up kiddies rollin' with the beats.

Enrapturing, truly. Thanks.