southernmost voyage

1. In the Glare of the Moon
2. Reborn by the Seed of Death
3. Smell the Incense
4. Entombed in the Midnight Hour
5. Blood Collapse
6. Raising the Suicide Chalice
7. Lick the Wound

A one man side project by Jens Rydén (ex-NAGLFAR) that never really got the attention it deserves. Keeping the same vocal style and some similar riffing as his main band, but focusing on catchy songs with busy, bombastic arrangements full of cool synth-orchestral work, as well as a more traditional heavy/thrash metal feel to a lot of the riffs and leads. There are plenty of guest musicians as well from bands like EMBRACING, PERSUADER and BLEEDING (i.e. pretty much every other bands from Umeå) performing additional vocals (female, male cleans, etc) and guitar leads here and there. Recommended for fans of good metal.

Now THIS is interesting as hell. Great production, very accessible growls, uptempo, nice heavy riffs, good songwriting, nothing too complex, but enough variety to appeal to fans of varying styles, and really, just plain fun. My only complaint so far is that the synths/keyboards are too loud in the mix for my tastes. Overall I like it a lot. Nice recommendation Erik.

Dark One said:
Now THIS is interesting as hell. Great production, very accessible growls, uptempo, nice heavy riffs, good songwriting, nothing too complex, but enough variety to appeal to fans of varying styles, and really, just plain fun. My only complaint so far is that the synths/keyboards are too loud in the mix for my tastes. Overall I like it a lot. Nice recommendation Erik.

This music is just "fun". :headbang: Makes you want to go drink a 6 pack of Brew down at Forest Lawn cemetery.

"Reborn by the seed of Death":

I like the production mix, and of course church organ style keys always works for this here King Diamond fanboy. Gotta say though, the vocals just don't match the music for me. This song begs for good clean/thrash vocals IMO.

Erik said:
due to intricate calculations on my part

calculator.jpg

Smell the Incense:

Like the music a lot, and that guitar solo is STORMING THE BEACHES OF NORMANDY!!!! Good heavy metal riffs, and I like the neo-classical vibe running throughout....but again, the vocals are the weakest link.

Raising the Suicide Chalice:

I just realized...these songs together remind me a little of SOURCE OF TIDE am I right? It's perfectly ok, above average to good I'd say.

I suppose I need to get me some Solstafir first anyway right?

"Reborn By the Seed of Death" thoughts: I fucking LOVED this song! :tickled: The constant keyboard melody behind the guitars is brilliant instead of being annoying, and I really enjoyed the vocals. For whatever reason reminded me of Stanne from DT. 9/10! Score!

"Smell the Incense" thoughts: again, this really reminds me of Dark Tranquillity-flavored metal, like a mix between the most aggressive melodeath and black metal-lite. I'm actually kind of surprised this reco came from Erik. That being said, I am really enjoying it! This song isn't as good as the first IMO, but has a damned tasty guitar solo. I like it. 8/10

"Raising the Suicide Chalice" thoughts: :cool:

This is like groovy, dark gothic metal. Interesting, to say the least. It's not always my style of choice (it's actually not often at all, tbh), but this is pretty good. I'd much rather hear this than say, Old Man's Child or Graveworm. Again, this reco coming from Erik really surprises me. Probably the worst of the 3 songs, but decent. 7/10