Tracklist
01. Dead Queen
02. Widow's Weed
03. Cruel Storm
04. Children Of Stone
05. Mansfield And Cyclops
06. Dead King
07. Moon Occults The Sun

Beautiful music should be a fitting enough description for this record. Suffice to say that fans of White Willow, Sinead O'Connor and most probably Comus should find Espers to their liking. Combining neatly arranged folk music with a progressive rock leaning, haunting female vocals and a few trails of electric saturation, they succeed in shaping what I think is the right atmosphere for carrying the listener to just the right places of the mind. Dark green, cristalline places alive with sprites and unicorns...

I haven't heard this band before, but I'll be checking out these samples.

I was looking forward to your "non-metal recommendation" :p

I was perusing samples of their previous albums, and I must say this Espers II definitely improved upon the sparse psych-folk style of their past work, which was more on par with that sound currently loved by indie hipsters and canadians everywhere. Progressive tendencies thrown in mix, as well as an overall denser sound resulting from extra bandmates/instrumention make for quite a moving listen.

I'm kinda surprised not to see these albums at the typical neofolk mailorders, meaning, I suppose, they are grouped more among the current american neo-psych-folk/singer-songwriter scene, of which I'm mostly not too keen on. edit: Actually, the american scene is growing on me, the more recent Iron & Wine is actually quite good at spots, and I really like Will Oldham's "I see a Darkness", but not much else of his work yet.

I ordered from amazon.com since I avoid doing business with Aquarius unless I absolutely have to, and it's cheaper.

Well on the little leaf like things on the CD (similar to the design on the cover there) it has a letter on each that spells out "promo" and on the last one says "not for sale". Ah well, it seems to play alright. It's not one of those crappy promo versions that has beeps or anything. I've only had time to listen to the first two songs though. So far so good.

Once again, good reco.

Granted, I'm very new to this "psych-folk" genre after being introduced to bands like this and Six Organs of Admittance on this board but from what I've heard, this has to the most consistant album I've listened to in this genre.

have you heard Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide?

Got in the espers II cd today, huzzah (not a promo ha ha)

Thanatopsis123 said:
Well on the little leaf like things on the CD (similar to the design on the cover there) it has a letter on each that spells out "promo" and on the last one says "not for sale".

Oh.. ho ho.. when I originally read this I thought you said it was on the COVER. I was just admiring the CD and that's when I noticed it. P R O M O

wacky stuff

I wonder why Amazon got in a bunch of promos?

Anyway to finally reply to that question above, yeah I've heard Dark Noontide, School of the Flower, and The Sun Awakens. The Sun Awakens is the best of what I've heard from Six Organs.