2. Colossus (07:27)
3. 78 (04:42)
4. The Jaded Beast (09:56)
5. Skeletonized (05:48)
6. Suicide Ride (06:27)
7. Black Death (11:24)

Total playing time
: 49:16

Kickass 70's influenced doom-rock from Maine. These guys smoke. This is their first full-length album released in 2003. You can download their demo at their site: http://www.ogrerock.com/media.html

Chris @ Hellride said:
New England's Ogre is vintage. Vintage Pentagram, Cirith Ungol, AC/DC, Uriah Heep and Grand Funk stuffed in a pepper grinder and sprinkled ever so lovingly over stacks of Marshall brand amplification.​
When this band gets cookin', there's nothing like it. The break on "Colossus" when vocalist/bassist Ed heats up the bass is beyond reproach, as is the very Heep/Ungol-ish multitextured moods of the multi-movement "The Jaded Beast" composition. "Suicide Ride" is, in a two words, fucking phenomenal, recalling Cathedral's "Midnight Mountain" in infectious riff/groove/and all out rock power. Doom epic "Black Death" is smothered in old school Pagan Altar-loving and vintage Sabbath kisses. Like a valentine on Halloween.

sleazegrinder said:
I saw the ever-righteous Ogre ply their space-Hobbit thunderboogie onstage at Boston's annual white trash apocalypse The Redneck Fest in 2000. [T]hey came on like Spinal Tap, BTO, Uriah Heep, and, I dunno, some kinda stonerfuzz trip, all at once. It was a memorable performance, of that I will attest.
"Dawn of Proto-Man" is . . . about KISS, giant aliens from the future, ill-fated bomber pilots, and the plague. Not all at once, but at least in rapid succession. And all the while, these strange words float in a sticky syrup of jazzy noodling, ancient Sabbath riffs, and the occasional moment or two of arena rock bombast. As such, it couldn't be more perfect, unless they took to wearing purple velvet waistcoats onstage, or something. If you thought fog machine metal was dead, then baby, Ogre are here to wake you the fuck up. Your own private Stonehenge awaits.

Their new one is about to drop w/i the next couple months too!!!!! :kickass:

Great band. Being the Terrorizer historian, I should mention that these guys had an album on the Terrorizer top 40 a year or two or three ago. Might have been this one.

Yeah, deliberately retro bands often make for amusing reviews :) Listening to Colossus right now, the riff is directly descended from Master of Reality and the instrumental break is really cool. And that cover art looks like a 60s science fiction paperback...

If people are going to post 2 recommendations, both need to go up at the same time. Doomcifer was late on the 2nd reco so he must pay the penalty of unstickiness when the sell-by date expires.

I heard about this band from a short review Black Goat wrote about it. I haven't picked it up yet, but it's really quite good.