record deal...

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey guys!

theoretical question: let's say me and my band are recording a demo and are looking for a record deal to record a full album and all this shit...

so what wer'e suppused to do is send links to our demo to all the metal oriented record labels, right?

so my question is, is there a page\site which concentrates all the record label's pages? cause right now wer'e just randomly sending to labels we stumble upon

most labels clearly state that physical demos will not be accepted but thanks for the advice!

however it does not answer my question.....

airheads3.jpg

most labels clearly state that physical demos will not be accepted but thanks for the advice!

however it does not answer my question.....

Unfortunately this means one thing,and one thing only:
They aren't gonna sign a band,unless it's got huge local following already,

You can make good demo and pro promo package alone at home and no one will be interested.so recording/one man project makes no sense nowadays (if you're noname), or...am I too pessimistic?

You can make good demo and pro promo package alone at home and no one will be interested.so recording/one man project makes no sense nowadays (if you're noname), or...am I too pessimistic?

no, that´s it exactly.
no record company will accept links or myspace stuff. if you don´t put enough effort in making a good record (demo) and don´t want to invest a few bucks to send them this demo, a nice bio and some good pictures why should they put any effort in you to develop you as an artist that should be able to compete with other bands when there are other bands who are willing to give much more than you?!?

the best advice i can give is:

1. look for a label that has bands signed that are doing equal music to yours.
2. ask them if they are interested in hearing your demo.
if they don´t answer at all chances are they will not listen to your music as well.
3. if you can get them to say "yes, just send us your stuff" you will have to wait for about 4 weeks i would say. if you haven´t heard of them you will not be hearing from them and will not be getting a contact i´m afraid.

these times are very hard. so if you don´t REALLY want it at least 180% i´d say don´t even try it.

to answer your question: the best way to find suitable labels is to look on cd covers from bands you like. there you will find.

good luck!

this just means that they don´t want any demos at all.
THEY pick the bands they would like to sign. just imagine how fast you click away an email with a link. a cd lies on the table much longer and can be seen each day.
if a label is really interested in you they will always ask for a cd.

hey guys!

theoretical question: let's say me and my band are recording a demo and are looking for a record deal to record a full album and all this shit...

so what wer'e suppused to do is send links to our demo to all the metal oriented record labels, right?

so my question is, is there a pagesite which concentrates all the record label's pages? cause right now wer'e just randomly sending to labels we stumble upon

most labels have demo sending instructions on their website and atleast on sony music finland states on their website that they only accept mp3 demos via email.

Most labels don't want a slew of unsolicited material. Most of that ends up in the trash (physically or virtually). That doesn't mean (even if they say so) that they literally don't want any demos. You should have a solid physical and e- press kit but you should make first contact with a polite email highlighting your biggest achievements and links to your myspace, facebook, real website and e-kit.

Whenever this conversation comes up on this board I find it enraging that often times people with zero first hand experience (i.e. in/managing a signed band, or working at a label) chime in constantly. It just isn't helpful. Sorry if that is rude of me to point out.

I'll add that in addition to "meeting someone connected" another great way to shortcut to label ears is by working with a known and respected producer. Murph and Dave Otero have both gotten multiple bands signed off of demos from what I know. O/C you have to be good enough for the producer to endorse you.
The best ways to get signed are the same as they have always been: a mix of luck, talent, hype and connections.

best advice if your material is good enought Record it and self release build up a large fanbase keep people on there toes until the release date hook yourself up with a good management company and you should be good a label will probly seek you out if your music is good enought within the year but you litterally need to work your asses off and write some killer tunes and get the fanbase growing

representation is 100%

metal isn't something that profits... so fan-base is not really important.

the goo goo dolls are metalblade's only platinum (money making) artist.

...rise records / solid state / ferret music ...are some of the most popular labels and i believe they do accept epk.

you can look into the artery foundation... this is an artist management company that distributes talent to labels like rise, tooth & nail... etc.

like i said representation is one of the most important elements to discovery. you just have to find an agent that believes your music will profit. (that's all that matters).