Recording a Condenser and Dynamic Mic at same time (48V) Issues?

poidaobi

Held in Hollows
Mar 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry if this is a Noob Question. But how would you got about doing this? I guess the more expensive Pre amps have 48V switches for each Mic in but what about M-Audio stuff where it seems the 48V runs across both the Mic Pre's. That would fuck up say a SM 57 if you were running 48V through it :loco:

no problem with dynamic mics and phantom power - doesn't have any effect!

i think you have to be careful with mics that run without any ground - just pin 3+2 ( for example self made subkick ) - you can damage them?! - well just heard about it and never tried out!!:loco:

Well, it can mean different things :lol: For example, active monitors have a built-in power source while passive monitors need an external power source. Active pickups need a separate power source, while passive pickups don't. Being active means moving around a lot and doing a lot of stuff, while being passive means doing hardly anything at all :lol:

:zombie:

no guys, you misunderstood me!:cry:

my question was not meant by giving me the definition of passive driven sources - like you mentioned a pickup or monitors!

what is passive about a ribbon compared to another dynamic mic!

Sending phantom to a dynamic mic won't damage it. I constantly have all the phantoms turned on the Control 24 down at the studio. However, if you are using a ribbon mic, you can damage it if you send phantom power to it.

Technically, a pssive component doesn't require a power source to work. An active component is one that does require a power source, and can also be used to boost a signal (like the tone controls on an active bass). In theory it's the same with monitors. Active monitors have in-built amplifiers which boost the signal and therefore they need power, whereas passive ones don't and so need to be plugged into an external amp. They still recieve 'power', but only because that's how the audio signal is transmitted.

Steve

^ Makes enough sense for me!

Another factor which really confused me back in the day was the difference between active and passive crossovers. I kept getting the two mixed up with active and passive speakers.

The funny thing is that active speakers are usually passively crossed over, whereas passive speakers are usually actively crossed over. Audio terms. Fun.