Recording a Guitar Lead Section

thefish666

Jun 28, 2007
Hey Guys !
How do you guys record a lead ?
How many tracks?(separate takes) What about panning? And what processing if any do you guys like to use ? Any info would be appreciated.....

I usually just do one take. I always add in some delay though. I like to eq/comp it the same as a rhythm guitar but mix it a little bit louder like the level of the lead vocal in the track. I usually pan it up the center to get it away from the hard panned rhythm guitars. A lot of guys like to boost up the mids on guitar leads too however I usually do not.

+1 to everything, though I love boosting the mids on leads, and delay is god (synced up to the click)

I agree as well, except I usually try to keep the leads a little more off to the sides, maybe 20% left or right. I'll do that especially for songs with 2 lead players trading off, one to the left and one to the right to just give a little more space in case there is some solo overlap or a harmonized bit between the 2. Aside from that, just some subtle echo/delay , a generous low cut (where depends on the tuning and the guitar) and I'll play with the high cut depending on where the solo actually moves .. I try to find the highest squeal or note and start from there. Maybe a small mid boost if needed and some moderate to crushing compression for faster stuff

I`ve had some success with chorus (+ delay) also. But be carefull or Judas Priest will come to take their effects back:).

I always find that in most cases when you've used a dynamic mic (SM57, etc.) to track rhythms it's a good idea to track the leads with a condensor, small or large, and that almost always gives an advantage right off the bat when it comes to the mix. Then I always do some good compression to make sure everything is even, high ass notes don't seem to hit as hard in a mix, and obviously some EQ. When I EQ it it's usually similar to a vocal track but exchanging vocal specific frequencies for guitar specific freqs. Then typically a delay of some kind, usually short and just enough to where you notice it, but you can just as soon ignore it easily. And volume and panning is very similar to vocals.

:)

~e.a