Recording a "pep band" How do?

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
So my boss took on a gig to record this pep band. It's basically a marching band that doesnt move. But he has some family things to do so I get to be the lucky guy to record it. I've never had to record more than half of the instruments that are in this so I'm shooting blanks right off the bat. I just got the email letting me know how the guy wants to record it and its grouped like this -

GROUP 1
2 Piccolos
2 Flutes
2 Clarinets

GROUP 2
3 Alto Sax
1 Mellophone

GROUP 3
1 Tenor Sax
1 Bari Sax

GROUP 4
6 Tumpet

GROUP 5
2 trombone

GROUP 6
2 Baritone

GROUP 7
2 Sousaphone

PERCUSSION (Channel/line)
Kick
Overhead
Marching snare
Quad (like timbale)
2 Marching bass drum

and the 2 stereo pair

14 channels total

For some odd reason does anybody have any knowledge in recording this type of band? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Wait, are they recording separately? If they're playing as an ensemble you should be able to get 90% of your sound from a stereo pair of LDC's out front. You can spot mic sections but bleed is going to be a major issues.
If they are willing to space out rather than "stack" front to back you could throw up a stereo pair per section.

Wait, are they recording separately? If they're playing as an ensemble you should be able to get 90% of your sound from a stereo pair of LDC's out front. You can spot mic sections but bleed is going to be a major issues.
If they are willing to space out rather than "stack" front to back you could throw up a stereo pair per section.

They're recording it as an ensemble. And it's all being tracked at a theater (just me and the band, it wont be an actual show being recorded). As far as the grouping goes, that is basically what the band and my boss agreed on and the guy is going to be around during mixing/mastering as well. What do you mean by spacing out instead of stacking?

They're recording it as an ensemble. And it's all being tracked at a theater (just me and the band, it wont be an actual show being recorded). As far as the grouping goes, that is basically what the band and my boss agreed on and the guy is going to be around during mixing/mastering as well. What do you mean by spacing out instead of stacking?
I mean that typically pep bands stack on risers (bleachers) several rows deep with the drums and tubas in the back, winds in the front, etc. If you can get the groups to spread out so that, for example the drums, don't fire straight into the mics for the sections you'll get cleaner tracks.