Recording Bass For Understanding, Not Feeling

Distortion definitely helps. I can attest that Mike is a seriously excellent bass player, having seen him live several times!

Welcome to the forum Mike! Cool that you're here!

Well well well if it isnt Mr Mike Baer, whats up man?!?!
You came to the right place for quality information on all aspects of recording. These guys know there shit and are very generous in helping get better results.:worship: Welcome!
I have to agree with adding distortion (or gain) to your bass for it to cut through a mix. But as stated above recording a clean channel adding waves Rbass, compression and riding the faders all can help get the definition your looking for. Good luck!!!:headbang:

I like the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI personally for bass. I like it so much I sound like I work for Tech 21 when I talk about it. Don't get me started.

Shane and Adrian, What's up bros?!!

I own these Tech 21 products. The SansAmp Bass driver. The RBI which is a rack piece just like the bass driver but with a "mid" knob and some extra hardware outs. I also have the GT2 which is really a full blow distortion box that guitar players usually love. I put some chorus on it and play irresponsably on my 6-string bass and it can sound like a synth at times.

madbutcher said:
My favorite bass tone ever (and one that sounds kind of what you are describing you want) is Nefarious' on Macabre's "Murder Metal" album. I'd love to know how the engineer got that sound to cut through so fuckin sweet. I have seen them live and it sounds exactly the same live as on the album.

I just used a DI on it.

Haha..just kidding.

Mic only. Two cabs, one with 10" speakers, the other with 15". Mesa Boogie amp. No DI at all (of course).

Neil K.

NK said:
I just used a DI on it.

Haha..just kidding.

Mic only. Two cabs, one with 10" speakers, the other with 15". Mesa Boogie amp. No DI at all (of course).

Neil K.

wow. I was totally not expecting Neil to reply to or even see that. awesome. Amazing work on that entire album. Definitely one of my favs. :headbang:

Listening to Voivod "Nothingface" today. That's a great bass tone. I'm a bass instructor and these kids bring in all this punk in to learn. I love the tone. But I'm NOT a pick player. I need to invent a pedal that captures the articulation of a pick for those wanted moments. I was going to purchase an Ampeg SVTII, but I just got another Mac instead. So the amp will have to wait.

madbutcher said:
wow. I was totally not expecting Neil to reply to or even see that. awesome. Amazing work on that entire album. Definitely one of my favs. :headbang:

No problem. Glad to be of service. Chuck (Nefarious) is awesome!

Neil K.

ArtisanBass said:
Listening to Voivod "Nothingface" today. That's a great bass tone. I'm a bass instructor and these kids bring in all this punk in to learn. I love the tone. But I'm NOT a pick player. I need to invent a pedal that captures the articulation of a pick for those wanted moments. I was going to purchase an Ampeg SVTII, but I just got another Mac instead. So the amp will have to wait.

I know the feeling. I just got one of the new Quad G5s (or dual duals). Now I'm broke.

:erk:

Neil K.

OH man I was checking out those Quads. Way over my head. Like 40% faster than the dual processors. Lemme know how it goes. I had heard that Digidesign was still a few months behind on being compatable with those things.

All I could afford was a dual 2.3. I should serve me well though. I must max out the RAM now. It sucks that even if you buy an entery level Mac or a higher end mac it still comes with 512. I was hoping to take the RAM out of my G4, but it's not compatable.

ArtisanBass said:
OH man I was checking out those Quads. Way over my head. Like 40% faster than the dual processors. Lemme know how it goes. I had heard that Digidesign was still a few months behind on being compatable with those things.

You can get PCI-Express versions of Pro Tools HD now. I might do a crossgrade - the throughput would be far greater. It all depends...I'm thinking of integrating my HD rig with a local studio here, so that might end up being the way to go.

As of now, I'm still running PT on my Dual G4. Works great. When it gets here, the quad G5 will be my "all round" non-music computer for a while I think. I got the 7800 video card option so it'll probably be killer for games (Doom 3 is on the way too :)

Neil K.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
A few monthes ago, my dream was a Dual G5... Now it's a Quad G5... Should I wait for the Octo G5 ? ;-)

I went for this one as it's possibly going to be the last of the PPC Macs. I've read several places that if the MacIntel machines use the Xeon processors, there might be something of an initial performance drop, so I thought it would be a good idea to jump on this one. The reviews have been astonishing. My dual G5 has been a bit iffy at times, so I'll probably just sell that one.

Neil K.