Recovering files from damaged CDRs

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
So digging around some old boxes last night I found 12 CDR-s from one of my old bands studio sessions we recorded in 2003. These discs have some surface damage, but no major gouges or anything like that. I was getting some CRC errors in trying to copying the files to my HD, but found a program CDCheck that has helped in recovering most of the files. However, I have one disc that just refuses to work - which I assume just means it's too scratched. :cry:

Anyone have any tips on cdr repair/resurfacing or anything like that?

the free program "exact audio copy" is supposed to be able to suck info from damaged CDs, although if the laser can't read it, I dunno how that happens.

ISO9660 has some built-in error correction. So some programs utilize that to try and rebuild the bad sectors.

As far as the CD itself, if it is just he laquer that is damaged on the read side, then you may want to try Brasso or any other cd scratch remover. Brasso I have found to work better than the commercial stuff. I have used it on DVD's, badly scratched CD's, etc. with great success. Just takes some time.

But if the foil side is damaged, then you are pretty much screwed.

I have been backing up bands Sessions to DVD too. Haven't had a problem since not one of them as asked for them. But just thinking about it, maybe using something like RAR for individual files. Then generate all the checksums and parity files. Then not only can you check for accuracy, but rebuild some of the files if need be.

Good luck!