ReEvolution reviews

erikro

Oct 31, 2005
- www.ghostcultmag.com 8/10 by Raymond Westland
With Zero Hour on extended hiatus the virtuoso Tipton twins, consisting of Jasun on guitars and Troy on bass, expanded their musical horizons with some other projects, including Abnormal Thought Patterns and Cynthesis. With the latter they have just released a second album, entitled ReEvolution. Let’s see what it has to offer. With ReEvolution the Tipton twins pretty much continue where they left off with DeEvolution. It’s still all about vocal-driven progressive metal where the band’s instrumental prowess is mostly used to augment the song material. Besides the occasional instrumental outburst this album hasn’t much to offer in terms of (excessive) solo spots. What ReEvolution does offer is high quality progressive rock with a metallic edge. Especially singer Erik Rosvold shines on tracks like ‘The Grand Facade’, ‘A Most Trivial Pursuit’ and a ‘Noble Lie’. The dark atmosphere is reminiscent of Evergrey (Recreation Day/The Inner Circle) while the progressive and technical undercurrent should make Symphony X very happy. ReEvolution may not be an instant prog classic, but it has enough to offer in terms of well-rounded and balanced song material brought with a flair and confidence few other bands can match. Fans of (older) Evergrey and Symphony X should really check this album out.

-blogcritics.org By Marty Dodge
Cynthesis have followed up DeEvolution with their new album ReEvolution and continue with their brand of evolutionary prog rock and metal. There are times on here that remind this reviewer of bands like Opeth and Anathema. This is not your chill-out style of prog, but one that tries to get you to think and pay attention. It is conceptual in scope but it never gets pretentious or tedious in any way. This album is some of the finest prog rock you will hear this year. There is very much an edge to all the music on this release, a welcome edge, that makes it entertaining. Cynthesis are one act to watch out for if you like bands on the crossroads between prog rock and metal.

- metal-temple.com by YngwieViking at 20 June 2013, 4:34 PM
CYNTHESIS is this; one of a kind type of band built by, the heavenly gifted TIPTONS twin Brothers, and is a terrific evolution or the maturated development of the early line-up of ZERO HOUR under an incredible and unstoppable expansion spirit. In fact after recruiting vocalist extraordinaire Chris Salinas (ex-POWER OF OMENS) in 2006, the sound of the band changes dramatically switching for a more straight and lyrical style, (both “Dark Deceiver” & “Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond” are vigorously suggested in the most powerful way) unfortunately their fantastic constant improvement and their magnification were brutally stopped after an harsh injuries experienced by Bass player Troy Tipton , so the band placed its activities on ice hold (officially split up in 2013), then giving birth on a dual of new progressive Metal bands : one with original ZERO HOUR singer Erik Rosvold, with also Sean Flanagan (ENCHANT) on Drums, under the moniker of CYNTHESIS and the side-project ABNORMAL THOUGHT PATTERNS : an instrumental trio featuring the former ZERO HOUR's drums basher , opposed but linked forever, like a two sided coin. The second album “ReEvolution” is the predicted sequel of the developed elements of a gloomy story , about a dystopian future including modern slavery/brainwashing/mass atrocities and financial speculation against native tribes, a real concept album in two episodes strongly influenced by film scores , with a new refined freshness and as well a 'never heard before' fluidity in the Jasun Tipton’s playing & songwriting. While ABNORMAL THOUGHT PATTERNS brand new album (“Manipulation Under Anesthesia” released on late May by Lifeforce Records) is more ferocious than ever, pushing the intricacy at the maximum with almost bio-mechanism playing / inhuman rhythmic and improving the ultra-hi-tech playing onto unreached stellar territories , CYNTHESIS is the antithesis, more spacey, emotional, with some sudden bursting of aggression and a few shredding parts , but most of the time playing with your nerves and speculating more on the atmospheric side: both outlet seems to be complementary like Gemini brothers. But don’t get me wrong, the talent and the obvious technical ability of the virtuoso musicians involved here , is still head and shoulders above the average new generation of Prog / Metalcore, with also some whirlwind hyper fast metallic blast on the instrumental “Convergence” notably some hallucinating unison amazing licks between bass & guitar. After published the debut album called “DeEvolution” in 2011 full of wide liquid texture, the band stated in the pres , that a new chapter was already recorded at the time. So it’s easy to understand why “ReEvolution” could be considered as the perfect follow up and a new upscale, scattering the same dark vibe, the same density and sometimes the same organic floating feeling with noble melodies and elegant tracks such as “The Grand Facade”, the great “The Most Trivial Pursuit” or “Persistence Of Visions” that contains also a few intellectual hits melted with smooth, ethereal introspective flavored elements far from the ZERO HOUR extreme style (as in the short “Divine Night” or in “The Noble Lie” both related with a strong PINK FLOYDian melodic link) before entering again in a frenzy of note with the middle part of the hypnotic “Release the Deity” as a closing matter. Some will name this: Post-Prog Metal or Sci-Fi Prog Rock, why not! But it’s necessary to find a new genre name, for such an original patented mix of elusive and blistering moments, breaking all the stylistic rules to reach a new higher state of perception… Hey wait a minute that’s the definition of Prog Metal, isn’t it?

- Second Life Syndrome | 5/5 | 2013-6
One of my favorite albums of 2011 was Cynthesis' debut album 'DeEvolution'. I was instantly drawn into the fantastic story, the sci fi themes, the social commentary, and the amazing atmospheres. The Tipton brothers had really outdone themselves, especially since I wasn't a big fan of Zero Hour. Now, Cynthesis has released the second part of their trilogy. I was a little wary, but only because the first one was so perfect for me that I was afraid to be disappointed. I shouldn't have worried. 'ReEvolution' lives up to it predecessor, and surpasses it in some ways, even. The storyline of these albums is quite complex, but suffice it to say that it follows a tribe shaman whom is captured by elite corporate heads. They prop him up as a prophet so that he can unknowingly lead the masses into the corporations' plans of consumerist greed, apathy, and naivety. At the end of the first album, the shaman leaves to find others to help the cause. Now, on this second album, he returns and learns things about the corporate plans and about himself. It's a social commentary of sorts, and an excellent one at that. This storyline plays out in a sci fi atmosphere with soaring guitar work that is rather unique and kinetic at times, and also some inventive bass work that moves things along well. Overall, however, Cynthesis' style is one of contemplative, melodic, moody prog that really captures the emotions and the moment. So, there are heavy moments, but this is no Zero Hour technically. This is beautiful, stylistic progressive rock that panders to people like me. The first album was amazing in so many ways, and this album repeats that without being a carbon copy. It also features the better vocal performance of the two, even though I was blown away by the first one. The vocalist went all out this time with some very impressive notes and sustains. To say that I am satisfied with this follow-up would be an understatement: This album has proven to me that this Tipton trilogy will be a classic for the ages. They have capitalized on the awesome story, and have provided great melody and ambiance to draw us into their message. I love everything about these albums, and I hope everyone checks them out soon.

- ytsejam
Having unleashed the debut DeEvolution in 2011, guitarist Jason Tipton mentioned in a Ytsejam.com interview that two CDs worth of material had been recorded at the time, further saying “So with DeEvolution, there will be ReEvolution which goes hand in hand exactly with DeEvolution, but with resolving everything.” And now we have the ReEvolution, the second installment of the post-prog metal epic that came into play out of the ashes of Zero Hour. Throughout ReEvolution, there are the moments as if you are floating on ‘glass like’ waters on a lake with an approaching storm brewing in on the horizon, through a calm and tranquil atmosphere with pending chaos to be unloaded. That felling particularly flows through a trio of intertwined tracks including “The Grand Facade,” “The Most Trivial Pursuit,” & “Persistence Of Visions” with that chaos unleashed like a beast on “Convergence” (giving the prog-metalers what they want) and the multifaceted “Release the Deity” (giving those who lust for ‘thinking man’s’ metal, their fodder) where the majority is played out very smoothly. Safeguarding their identity, Cynthesis don’t play to this depressed pity-party para-emo bullshit that plagues bands that somehow want to prove some type of tender side of music. ReEvolution is heard as both a companion and follow up to DeEvolution, sparking the same vibe considering a lot of material on this album was written at the same time as it’s predecessor, but it does strike at a different elemental approach contrasting with it’s own unique standing as an album that stands alone.

http://www.hellbound.ca/2013/07/cynthesis-reevolution/

By Rob Kachluba

For those that don’ t know, 3/4 of heavy prog metallers Zero Hour now make up Cynthesis with Enchant drummer Sean Flanegan filling in the empty seat. The Tipton brothers (Troy on bass and Jasun on guitars, respectively) have released a monster of a prog metal/rock album. While both their debut Cynthesis release and their previous band Zero Hour are in the more heavier shredding vein, ReEvolution sees the band creating a more relaxed atmoshpere with a an almost ambient Pink Floyd – like underlying vibe. The first track proper “The Grand Facade” oozes with emotion and atmosphere. Vocalist Eric Rosvold sings his heart out and is so emotional. Really, this guy is top 5 right now in rock/metal vocalists, he is just that talented. You get a really sci-fi feel from this album. It is like a painted landscape full of a rolller coaster of emotions. It still has its heavy elements with its fair share of chops and technical prowess, but this disc just reeks of class from start to finish. Epic closer “Release the Diety” is a melodic music fan’s wet dream. Things start off slow until around the 5 minute mark where the Tipton brothers pull out a tasty heavy technical riff. That leads into the finale which shows off Eric singing unlike anything I have heard from him before. Well done.

Overall, ReEvolution is something that can be listened to when you want to drift away, while never sacrificing its heaviness. This album paints a landscape of epic proportions that I have rarely heard: it is a perfect headphone experience.

(Sensory Records)

It also features the better vocal performance of the two, even though I was blown away by the first one. The vocalist went all out this time with some very impressive notes and sustains.

I was blown away years ago by the performance on Towers of Avarice (and still am to a degree), but ReEvolution does seem to be Erik's most impressive performance yet.

I can't really think of another situation where a metal vocalist, particularly in prog, actually gets better with age. Let's be honest--aging is harder on a singer than any other musician. How many metal singers can we name that were only in their prime up to about 30 years old? The vast majority, I would say.

I won't count on the next album being even more impressive vocally, but I would be perfectly satisfied with more of the same :p