Regorge - Kingdoms of Derision

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
I must say, that I am no longer a big fan of brutal death as a whole, as much of it tends to bore me. However, I do very much enjoy this CD. This is the first and only release from Scotland's Regorge. The production and sound quality are surprisingly good for such an obscure band on such a small label. The CD is prefectly mixed as well, retaining all the brutality and aggression of brutal death while the blasting never drowns out the riffs; you can hear every note the guitars play, and every note is worth hearing. The songs are very well written and arranged. Unlike much brutal death metal, there is actually variety to be found on this CD - one can find everything from all out blasting passages, to groove oriented slower riffs, to well written tremolo riffs, to complex technical riffing. Standouts on this CD include the opening track, Path of God, and track four, Assembled in Defiance. Path of God starts out very fast, with blast beats and some very cool riffing, and then breaks down into a killer groove passage, guaranteed to get your head banging. The song is fast for the most part, but the tempo changes make it very interesting. Assembled in Defiance is a slower, more mid paced song. It features some very cool, dare I say, catchy riffs, as well as some kick ass soloing - another song sure to whip you into a headbanging frenzy. The combination of brutality, technicality, groove, and catchiness make this CD worth getting. Regorge may not be the most original death metal band ever, but they do what they do very well. If you like death metal, this CD will not disappoint.

Good review. I wouldn't really say they're brutal death though. Well, I suppose they are, they just don't really strike me as that. They're much more oriented around progression than your average bdm band, which is good, and I like the soft, warm production it has. To be honest, I haven't listened to this CD enough yet, but it hasn't quite caught me in a vise when I have. I'll give it another spin sometime soon however.