relationship between tracking engineer and mixing engineer

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
I have a band coming in the studio in a few weeks and theyre having a pretty big name engineer mix it. I feel like I should contact him to ask him if he wants anything specific and to let him know a little bit of how ill be tracking.

I don't want to be a pain in the ass but I would like to make sure I get him everything that he would need. So for the guys who normally do tracking only do you typically contact the person mixing yourself and guys who mix only do you like when the tracking engineer contact you let you know a little bit about the gear that you used and ask you what you would like?

Yeah, it's totally normal to at least touch base with the guy. Most will appreciate it even if they're busy b/c it will speed things up for them and minimize surprises when they get the tracks.

Was put in this situation with a band before and kinda hoped to get some direction from the mix engineer but didn't really get anything specific from them. In the end I played it safer than I would have had I been the one to mix it since I didn't want to be the one to ruin the bands chances of getting a good mix. In my case it didn't really matter anyways as the band never finished it, they had a jump in their career and got to work with a bigger name guy and started from scratch with him.

I'd say go for an as many options as possible approach. Spot cymbals mics, snare bottom, room mics all to be left in if possible. Take a pre everything DI on bass and guitar even if you're taking a DI after some pedals too and take amp tracks. Also, use a standard OH technique that anyone can feel comfortable using rather than deciding to try use something you just read about and are anxious to try.

Out of curiosity, whose mixing it?

Matt Malpass (decoder,cute is what we aim for, hey Monday) def not metal and I did a quick search and I haven't seen anything about him being on here

Absolutely. By all means, do that. Nothing to lose there, he'll just be glad you're taking him into consideration from the beginning!

Awesome thanks! I just wanted to see if he wanted anything specific and just give him some info about the way everything is going to be tracked, but I wanted to make a a good impression

That's what I plan on doing. Di's and amped tracks through different heads and cabs. Also the band wants their mix all natural drums but I plan on using triggers and taking multisamples of the drums, incase he wants to augment the natural tracks. My biggest concern is making sure I keep Mic bleed to a minimum

I would definitely talk to him, but really I would expect a big name to want to OPPOSITE of a billion options. People I've read about that get 50 guitar tracks and 60 drums tracks usually think it's a pain in the ass to have to sort through all of it and figure out what's needed and what's not.

You're the tracking engineer. You should have a good idea of what is needed for the mix (with the help of the producer, if there is one). If it NEEDS a ride mic, by all means do it. But don't give the guys 40 extra tracks he'll have to sort through just to be "safe."

You get to put your mark on the sound as well, don't forget. You and band still get to come up with the guitar sound, the bass sound, the drum sound. If the mixer wants to change that he can, but you shouldn't send him a blank white sheet.

Send him some songs.

UPDATE: Also, the producer should be making sure you have what is needed for the production.

I would definitely talk to him, but really I would expect a big name to want to OPPOSITE of a billion options. People I've read about that get 50 guitar tracks and 60 drums tracks usually think it's a pain in the ass to have to sort through all of it and figure out what's needed and what's not.

Thanks, that a side that I never thought about. Thats another good reason why I should email him and see what he would like

I would say, definitely reach out to the mixer and make sure you get on the same page with him. Personally, I won't even agree to mix a band unless I have a certain level of confidence that the tracking engineer will be able to do a fairly professional job. If it's gonna be super cheapo mics on a crappy drum kit, with old heads, tracked in a little bedroom, I'm not really interested. Also, I'm somewhat nervous letting other people track guitars, even if they capture DIs, unless I know that they understand, can detect, and know how to deal with all the little annoying nuances that guitar tracking normally presents (intonation, general tightness of doubling, etc). I just need some solid assurance that I'm going to have tracks to mix that were recorded by a careful and meticulous engineer—as the pool of "engineers" grows (as recording technology becomes cheaper), the total percentage of capable engineers out there decreases. If someone will pay me my rate to mix their tracks, and I at least somewhat like their music, then I'm willing to have a dialogue, but if no amount of turd-polishing will allow me to make the tracks sound professional, then it's impossible for me to justify taking on the project.

I have a project coming up like this actually.

I've touched base with both the mastering and mix engineers.

But even still, I intend to put a .txt file in explaining shit I did as well as some track notes (I actually like pro tools for this kind of thing).

They are doing a hybrid where we track the drums in a nice studio, track the guitars at my place, reamp the guitars and bass at the same studio and do the vocals at the nice studio. Should come out really nice if it goes well.

let the producer decide what to do, mic choice etc. or at least talk to the producer.
a great producer will know what the song needs.
this shouldnt be up to the tracking engineer. and this shouldnt be up to the mixer either.
are you producing this one?
then go ahed, choose what YOU think fits the song/band.

let the producer decide what to do, mic choice etc. or at least talk to the producer.
a great producer will know what the song needs.
this shouldnt be up to the tracking engineer. and this shouldnt be up to the mixer either.
are you producing this one?
then go ahed, choose what YOU think fits the song/band.

The band is hiring me because I have the experience with hands on engineering (micing real drums and amps.) The producer is a friend of theirs and mine thats helping more with writing and making sure everything is a good take. So thats why I figured it'd be best for me to talk to the mixing engineer to see if he wants anything specific

Been in this situation, best thing you can do is make sure to get him files in the most organized way possible for starters. Contacting him and make sure everything is labeled/named properly, if he wants a stereo track of overheads instead of dual mono, etc... shit like that. Above all else, don't feel overwhelmed, it's not a big deal. If this guy has had people track stuff and send it to him before chances are somebody before you did a way worse job. :lol:

sent the email, thats what i said

"Hey Matt,

My name is Joe Scaletta of Word of Mouth Recordings. I will be doing the tracking for the band *******. I just wanted to touch base with you before we started tracking so were on the same page. The band told me that they want to keep the drums all natural. I made sure to tell them to get all new heads. I plan on including mic'd tracks along with trigger tracks of the shells. I also will take multi samples of each individual shell in case you want to augment the drums. For guitar, I believe the band has an Egnater head and Orange cab, so I will mic that up but I will also include DI tracks. For bass the band has an Ampeg half stack and I will mic that and include DI's.

We will be tracking in a studio at one of their churches. I will be going some time next week to check out the rooms and mic selection.

Is there anything specific that you would like me to include or anything specific that you don't need? Also do you have any suggestions on any tracking techniques that you prefer?

Thanks
Joe Scaletta"