Remember the idea for "Beyond the Black?"

Necromunchkin

Lord of the Whisky
Sep 21, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
Right after Nevermore had done Dreaming Neon On Black they were going to record an EP off covers. Iron Maiden, Savatage, etc. Never did it, though, just toured their asses off and gave us DHIADW.

Anyhow, I stole my roommates Sanctuary albums because I'm moving out in two weeks and he's a fuckhead who wouldn't even have heard of Nevermore or Sanctuary if not for me and he nevers listens to the albums.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nevermore do the covers EP, but what I'd love to hear is revamped Sanctuary songs, two or three of em, done in the Nevermore style with Jeff Loomis' take on the guitar parts. Some good shit here, but I just imagine what it'd be like with the modern heaviness and darkness.

Yes, i'm bored. Fuck off.

Yeah, i remember when tribute albums were actually something to look forward to. Like the two century media Priest tribute albums. like Testament's devestating cover of Rapid Fire.

I remember Warrel said they were considering doing the song "Number of the Beast." Now that would have been cool.

I don't know. It was supposed to be on the Nuclear Blast tribute album, but the last listing I saw for that didn't show anything from nevermore. Thinking it got scrapped.

nah, they got changed to RTL.. they even played it in europe on that fest they did. then, when the finalized track list for the cd came out, nevermore was off... i dunno w hat happened

Maybe they didn't get into the studio on time, or else they were focusing on writing their own material, which I respect and prefer. Rather hear new nevermore than redone metallica done any day.

Well,I'd still love to hear Nevermore cover a good Metallica song.But I'm not sure how WD would handle the vocals.Like,on those songs(from Ride the Lightning),Hetfield's voice isn't as high pitched as WD's.You think maybe he could manage NOT to do the shrieking vocal for once?Just because that wouldn't really do justice to a Metallica song that deserves to be reinterpretted correctly.

Well, Warrel's got a solid lower range. He'd make it sound more ominious, less dirty. And if he threw the occasional high ranged scream, pushed it up an octave, it would still work. Must have faith in the man.

Originally posted by Necromunchkin
Well, Warrel's got a solid lower range. He'd make it sound more ominious, less dirty. And if he threw the occasional high ranged scream, pushed it up an octave, it would still work. Must have faith in the man.
I never said I didn't have "faith" in WD,I've accepted him as one of my gods,for fuck sake!:lol:
That would definatly do something for the song,though.Give the vocals even more of an edge.

Of the covers Sanctuary/Nevermore have done, which of them do you recall sounding ANYTHING like the original? "White Rabbit" comes the closest, IMO. Warrel seems to like taking a song & making it HIS/the band's. I hate those exact carbon-copy covers. If I want to hear the original, I'll listen to it, not some other band playing it note-for-note. (Hammerfall's "I Want Out" comes to mind... :puke: ) When I hear Nevermore are doing a cover, unlike other bands, I actually look forward to it, rather than cringing at the thought. (Iced Earth's Tribute To The Gods comes to mind here...)

Favorite covertunes:

Nevermore- "Silent Hedges/Double Dare" (Bauhaus)
Carcass- "Keep On Rotting In The Free World" (Neil Young? :lol: )
Cronic Disorder- "Folsom Prison Blues" (Johnny Cash)
Nevermore- "The Sound Of Silence" (Simon & Garfunkle)
Death- "Painkiller" (Judas Priest) okay, this one is pretty close...
Blind Guardian- "Surfin' USA" (Beach Boys)
Metallica- $5.98 EP/Garage Days Re-Revisited (yep all of 'em)

There are probably more I'm leaving out, but those come immediately to mind. Any more well done covers that don't sound exactly like the original?

Nevermore...

Originally posted by dead6skin6mask6
ya... Veil of Disguise! (did i spell that right? my mind just BLANKED)

I don't think you can touch perfection and have it come out better but it'd still be cool to hear it live...in fact even a Sanctuary bootleg with it I'd be willing to trade any disc I own for it. That song is probably in my top 5 as far as Vocal performances go...that intro acoustic is great as well. (Hopes someone could hook me up even if just an Mp3 (live of course)

i am very curious how they would do "beyond the black"
the idea of a nowadays great seattle metal band, playing a song from a great 80s seattle metal band=killer
i would like nevemore to do a Queensryche song , from Rage For Order...perhaps Neue Regel ???

Originally posted by dead6skin6mask6
hey question.... im your man ;) i have Veil of Disguise in a bootleg on my ftp

SWEET!!!
Later tonight...maybe? When I get the time I'll check your bootlegs out etc. I don't really have much on my new comp right now...I have TOXIK - World Circus...a really cool technical thrash album.