Restringing guitars and cleaning the fretboards..

Greenwater_Pond

Role model of males 18-49
Anyone have any tips for this? my fretboard always gets dirty as hell and It builds up fast even after I change the strings (and no I'm not dirty it's just the way I play a lot of my skin gets shredded off I think), any suggestions for cleaning that off and keeping it off? Also, restringing is a painful experience for me, the guitar always has a large resonance to it that sounds like I'm playing an acoustic, which isn't right. Anyone know why this might be?

Yup, lemon oil can clean the crud off and it helps to keep the wood conditioned. Also, wipe off the strings after you play and before you put your guitar away. This will keep some of the oils from your hands from collecting on the fingerboard.

BTW what do you reccomend, guys, for cleaning my strings? I know the nickel plating is worn down... but anyway...

I found out Mr Proper Universal to be a very bad choice.
I also tried some windows cleaners, with more success.
Wood polish didn't work very well.
I also tried soda bicarbonate but my guitar just got all grithed up. Got dirty very fast afterwards...

I haven't tried a contact cleaner spray yet, but my father probably will kill me if I do. Or maybe not but I won't open that package first, just in case. :)