Retubing the XSr (KT88's?)

Dec 13, 2007
For those of you who own an XSr, a question or two. I recently bought a used XSr and it came stock with the JJ EL34's. I bought it to pair with my XXX which has 6L6's and I must say the EL's are a pleasant surprise. The cleans sound a hell of a lot better on the new amp, however it obviously lacks the girth that my XXX has. I want to retube the amp with a JJ high gain full replacement, and I like the tone of the EL34's, however I want more low end and more viciousness. My first choice is the high gain retube kit with the KT77's, however I was wondering would KT88's fit and what could I expect from the change. Maybe I could do a KT77/KT88 set? The mission is to give it it's own distinctive edge (Which is why I don't want 6L6's) yet with more low end. By the way I use the ultra channel on both amps primarily, mid between 5-6.

and I like the tone of the EL34's, however I want more low end and more viciousness.

By the way I use the ultra channel on both amps primarily, mid between 5-6.

step 1: make sure your guitar has some decent Mahogany.

setp 2: turn the mids down. Seriously, that's an insane amount. Do you get much clarity with that? Or do you just have a really scooped pickup?

If you'd like info on tubes, try emailing http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm