Returning the Triple Rectifier....

WesNyle269

Oct 10, 2008
Niles, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Ok, so I am returning my Triple Rectifier I just got. The reason being is because (I am told so) that the big difference between the Dual and the Triple is 50 Watts and that the Triple at higher volumes, stays clear and true. Well I am not going to be pushing nor needing it NEAR 150 Watts. Also, my neighbors called the police on me last night and I was only at about a oh, 8 o'clock on the master volume lol. Plus the other reason is that the Mesa Dual (Used but in GREAT conidition) is only $1000! So im saving $1000!!! Which is great right now lol. So if NOT the dual, what other amps should I look into? Cause the 6505 NEW is in the same price range! hmm......

The Dual and Triple Recto are basically the same volume. The difference is more feel/response than actual SPL. If you're having the cops called on you with the volume at 8:00 on the Triple, you might be able to turn it up to around 8:10 on the Dual before they call.

Still, I'd trade a Triple for a Dual if it put $1000 in my pocket too.

The 6505 vs Recto question is a simple answer... play both at the actual volume levels you'll be using the amp at and walk out with whatever one you like better.

Most amps are going to be very loud. Each time you double the wattage of a tube amp you gain 3db, which is a barely noticeable volume change. What you do gain with more power is clean headroom, the ability to keep the signal from hitting distortion as soon. Also, it is easier to pull tubes and reduce power than it is to add tubes and increase power. I am currently running my 100w heads with two tubes pulled, so i get into overdrive/distortion sooner. Not a real big difference, but I don't want to replace 4 tubes when they go out either.

Doubling the wattage of an amp increases its volume by 3 decibels. 3 db is a very slight increase in volume, certainly nothing dramatic. For most people 3 db is the slightest increase in volume that they can perceive. In other words, a 50 watt amp next to a 25 watt amp would, IN THEORY, be almost the exact same volume, assuming that the speaker efficiency was identical. It takes a 10 db change to be perceived as a doubling in volume and 10 db requires 10 times the power.

http://amps.msorensen.net/watts.html

If you start looking at a 5150/6505 and are on a budget I would totally recommend looking at a Peavey Windsor head (not the speaker cabinet). I played in a band for a while and the other guitarist bought one.

We spent some time comparing it to my 5150 with the same guitar, noise gate, tube screamer and speaker cabinet. The amp settings were not the same but the Windsor staked up really great compared to the 5150. I was really impressed.

The dude bought the Winsdsor used for $175. Which basically made me want to cry.:cry: