Reviews for "The Unsettling Dark" LP

AAAAAHHHH, just in time.... we just recieved the advance for Martriden: Unsettling Dark full length. Honestly, i was waiting for this album since the advance for the E.P. came... It is a strong album in general.... but i was a bit dissapointed, the sound charging from the awesome song architecture and general composition of the first four of the E.P. This just seems space filling, and less haunting than thier name implies... Not to say i didn't enjoy it, but with expectations high after the release of thier debut, i was expecting something a bit more unique. I loved the inclusion of the Rachmaninoff in track 8 (prelude) but overall, it seems that this relese lies sprawled out and disemboweled by thier debut... there are some standard hooks and phrases, but for the overall the songs lacked the blatant disregard for the american metal scene... The lyrics, however powerful, also seemed to lack because of this... Still a quite strong release, but won't be the #1 new release here this season... damnit...
Buy it, support those guys, go see emperor's american tour!
Hails

HEre's a live-metal.net review I just found. http://www.live-metal.net/cdreviews_martriden_unsettlingdark

By JEFF MAKI

Is Montana a new breeding ground for extreme metal? If The Unsettling Dark from the rising black/death metal band Martriden is any indication, then it very well could be. This is the band's first full-length release following a self-titled EP in 2006. To sum things up, Martriden takes a cue from death metal standouts such as Opeth, Morbid Angel and Carcass, and elevates the extremity with influences from black metal bands such as Emperor and Behemoth. A similar comparison also can be made to Necrophobic. The Unsettling Dark is on a grand scale, featuring walls of guitars and rhythms, a brutal vocal attack courtesy of Michael Cook and lengthly melodic passages. The legendary Emperor handpicked Martriden to open their final shows in the United States. One listen and it's evident that extreme metal has been waiting for a new band like this for some time. A new heir to a throne perhaps?

Immediately we begin to twist and turn with the blasting rhythm of “The Enigma of Fate” and “The Calling,” climaxing with the heart of the album: “The Ascension Part 1” and “The Ascension Part 2.” "Part 1" is the heir-apparent to any track from Carcass's classic Heartwork album. It features an awesome guitar attack and the song has an evil, almost sarcastic tone. "Part 2" is a monumental instrumental piece, beginning with acoustic guitars and ending in a triumphant score familiar with the black metal elite. This is the soundtrack to bloody, fiery battlefields and legions of armor-clad warriors fighting to the death. The title track churns out some of the release's best grooves and has lyrics telling tales of death and destruction. Trust me, the rest of the album follows suit. “Immaculate Perception” closes out in instrumental fashion with beautiful acoustic guitar work.

Martriden is furious yet beautiful, extreme yet dynamic, and The Unsettling Dark is a phenomenal album. Above all, they have a sense of purpose, unlike the droves of bands we are seeing today making incomprehensible noise. They have set a high bar for themselves with their first full-length album and are already on the same level as many long running black and death metal bands. For fans of extreme metal, this is one not to be missed.

tbh, I don't really know how that all went about. Our A&R is their A&R and he told me Ihsahn asked if we could do it after he played him the EP. :shrug: So, more or less, yes we were.

tbh, I don't really know how that all went about. Our A&R is their A&R and he told me Ihsahn asked if we could do it after he played him the EP. :shrug: So, more or less, yes we were.

thats awesome...and I wouldn't mind buying the album off you guys directly either, if the price is right, hehe

good point. £8 for a new album is amazing tho

also lol'in at the whole album being sampled and streamed on amazon.com plus its cheaper there than england and its released tomorrowwww :O

edit: the intro to the album sounds remarkably like the gladiator soundtrack :p

http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/martriden/unsettling-dark/17080/

Montana’s Martriden carries on the Scandinavian melodic-death and black-metal traditions on its debut full-length, The Unsettling Dark. It’s the kind of album that suggests that topography is destiny -- the lunar expanses and jutting mountain ranges of the Treasure State aren’t so far removed from Scandinavia’s frigid lowlands and alpine terrain -- but The Unsettling Dark goes far beyond hero worship. Martriden chews up its Viking influences, ingests only the best bits, and spits out a blackened death-metal album to remember.

Bolstered by a huge production job by Dave Otero (Cephalic Carnage), the bulk of The Unsettling Dark impregnates the keyboard-laced melodic death of Dark Tranquillity with brainier, brawnier riffing. “The Calling” and “Processional for the Hellfire Chariot” surge with dual guitars that chug, pummel, retreat, and then take off into slanty lead filigree. Aside from short detours into blastbeat and thrash-polka territory, Martriden’s bulletproof double-kick drum action stays welded to whatever groove the guitars happen to be peddling. Vocalist Michael Cook splits the difference between the standard-issue death-metal growl and black-metal rasp, resulting in an appealing and intelligible roar.

Martriden’s greatest strength is the impeccable craft of its arrangements. The sculpted riff topiary of “Ascension Part 1” (which features a killer solo from itinerant death-metal-cameo guitarist James Murphy) places it in league with some of Dimmu Borgir’s more opulent constructions; keyboard parts flesh out harmonies and build mood without once diluting the complexity. Perhaps the most powerful moment on the disc is “Prelude,” which effectively refashions a Rachmaninoff piano piece into an unrestrained metallic hellstorm. It’s no wonder that black-metal legends Emperor, themselves masters of arrangement and classical/metal fusion, hand-picked Martriden as openers for a U.S. tour in 2007.

Martriden excels at blasting death metal, but ferocity is just one weapon in its arsenal. Acoustic instruments beautify “Ascension Part 2” and the graceful, Opeth-like finale to “A Season in Hell,” offering merciful rest stops from all the surrounding fury. Could these un-metal parts be signposts for future directions? No matter where Martriden goes, this much we know: These early-twenty-year-olds have already written an album to rival the best Scandinavian-style metal.

http://www.gaspetc.com/Trax_Winter08.html

Montana's Martriden released their debut EP last year, which I found to be a decent, if unspectacular release. It did leave me wondering what this technically inclined blackened death metal band would come up with for a full length release, as the mere four songs on the EP are a pretty small sample. Enter their new full-length release, The Unsettling Dark. Packing 10 songs into a bit over 43 minutes, the band kept their approach the same, but seemed to tighten the songs up a bit.

After a brief guitar-laden intro, Martriden rip right into "The Enigma of Fate". Furious double bass drums attack while a wall of distorted guitars shred. Add to that some keyboards layered in there and ferocious black metal-ish vocals, and you have everything you need for a sold opening track. "Ascension Part 1" showcases the technical aspect of the band nicely. After an amazing opening guitar lick the twin guitar attack play off each other nicely during the first part of song, laying down a theme that is repeated a bit later. Metal guitarist extraordinaire James Murphy lends his talents by way of a great shredding guitar lead. This song flows perfectly into "Ascension Part 2", which is an instrumental and not as heavy as the first part. It is still just as technical, and if I could lump these together as one song, I'd have to pick that as my favorite track on the disc, with all the intricate guitar bits that tie together to make a great tune.

The title track begins with an extended intro, then commences to kick our asses with a most brutal assault of guitar riffs and pummeling drums. If you tend more towards the brutal side versus the technical side, then this is likely the track you will like most of this disc. The machine gun riffs that repeat a couple times are some of the most punishingly heavy you're likely to hear. "A Season in Hell" and "Immaculate Perception" bring things to a close rather calmly, with the last half of "ASiH" and all of the finale being comprised of classical acoustic guitar and strings almost exclusively.

So, did Martriden improve upon their sound from their initial EP to this new full-length release. To my ears, they very much did. They took what they were doing quite well before, focused it into slightly more concise songs, and came out with a top-notch result to show for it. Production here is stellar, with all the instruments coming through pretty much perfectly - if I was to say anything against the production, I would say the bass drums sound is a bit harsh and digital, and also mixed a tad too high for my liking. Aside from that nitpicking, this is a great release. Let's hope these guys can get hooked up for a good US tour sometime this year.

Finally got my copy in the mail today... here's my review: "it's awesome!" :D

I like that the songs seem more focused in structure, the whole album flows very well and sounds "complete". Great work by everyone involved!

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=6143

The lads from Montana are back! Eager to show the world that their 4-song self titled EP from 2007 was no fluke, Martriden have here their first full-length release, titled The Unsettling Dark, which is a bold and powerful display of ferocious black & death metal styles that contains plenty of melody and progressive nuances. If you thought the debut had plenty of promise, you haven't heard anything yet. While the influences of Opeth, Enslaved, Behemoth, Emperor, and My Dying Bride can be heard, the band is quickly forging their own style, bringing together many textures and sounds (much like another great new band, Nahemah) that culminates in a greatly varied platter of extreme music.

From the majestic & powerful opening notes of the "Intro", you are instantly aware that it's going to be one hell of a ride here on The Unsettling Dark. From there the band crashes right into the raging symphonic black metal attack of "The Enigma of Fate", a real killer piece with manic blast beats, keyboards, crushing riffs, and harsh black metal vocals, giving this song a real Scandinavian feel not too distant from Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Old Man's Child, or Emperor. From there the band lurches into venemous death metal territory, lead singer Michael Cook sounding like a cross between Behemoth's Nergal, Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath, Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquility, and Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy. It's his varied vocal attack that takes these kick-ass songs to new heights, and although it's early in his career, he has the goods to one day potentially be looked at as one of the best singers in the genre. Extremely technical death metal is the name of the game on "The Ascension Part 1", complete with wild drum blasts and some sick guitar riffs, but then the band goes into melodic, atmospheric, & progressive territory on "The Ascension Part 2", featuring some wonderful guitar lines that will instantly remind of Opeth.

"Processional for the Hellfire Chariot" is a real bruiser, a death metal track with plenty of groove and evil growls, and the title track sees the dark atmosphere again creep in, with haunting keyboards and lush acoustic guitars at the intro, eventually giving way to some doomy riffs before the whole band jumps back in with a frenzied mix of black metal & the galloping rhythms of vintage Iron Maiden. If it sounds like an interesting ride on this piece it certainly is! Perhaps the strongest song here though is "Prelude", a full-on symphonic black metal feast, with rapid-fire blast beats, rippling guitar work, orchestral keyboards, and Cook's gurgling rasps. This one's as epic and exhilarating as it gets folks, but they don't let up there, as "A Season in Hell" once again combines the black & death metal styles into one crushing yet melodic experience. The final track, "Immaculate Perception", is a gorgeous instrumental, which closes out the CD on a somber note, with tender acoustic guitars and chilling synth washes.

The Unsettling Dark has definite album of the year potential, and is proof that Martriden are a band with major talent and destined for great things. To top everything off, the CD was produced by Dave Otero from Cephalic Carnage, and sounds fantastic, and the enchanting artwork was done by Erik Olafsson. In summary, a stunning release.