Rhapsody in the news!

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
From Blabbermouth.net:

"RHAPSODY Sign With SPV/STEAMHAMMER RECORDS - Mar. 6, 2003
Italian symphonic metal group RHAPSODY have signed a deal with Germany's SPV/Steamhammer Records.

In the past SPV have been the distribution company for all of the RHAPSODY albums, but now RHAPSODY will appear on SPV's own label, Steamhammer, through a special arrangement with MANOWAR's Magic Circle Music label imprint.

SPV Managing Director Manfred Schütz commented on the signing: "RHAPSODY have made a great name of themselves all over the world. We intend to continue in the SPV tradition of worldwide support for our groups, and to bring RHAPSODY's sound into the hearts and homes of all metal fans. We are also looking forward to working with RHAPSODY's new management team who also represent MANOWAR."

The next opus from RHAPSODY will be a self-produced affair and is planned for release by the end of this year."

This is some interesting information, since Rhapsody was clearly the biggest and most successful band on LMP; it looks to me like SPV/Steamhammer is poised to make a run at some of the bigger players in the metal biz, considering they officially signed Iced Earth & Rhapsody in the past 2 months.

Well...this is a place for all things metal. You didn't comment on the Grave/Goatwhore/Immolation tour that's going to rape & pillage its way through the USA come late spring/early summer...

I've never heard Grave or Goatwhore. Immolation is a little bland for me these days. I saw them in '96 with Brutal Truth and Cannibal Corpse. Immolation was a young band, but they were completely out of place considering the level the other two bands played at.

Grave is early-90s Swedish death metal, though I'm far from an expert on them. Papa Josh would be better suited to speaking on them. And Goatwhore is a wickedly grim black metal band from New Orleans of all places, born out of the ashes of Acid Bath (I think) and Soilent Green. I'm told they're the best unknown black metal band to come from the USA, and considering that they're playing both the NJ Metalfest this weekend and the NE Metal & Hardcore Fest in May, perhaps you'll hear of them soon...

I don't believe I ever saw an SPV release until about a year ago and now they're everywhere. the only downside I see is they're now releasing their cds in these booklet-like packages, where the cd slides into a sleeve of thicker paper; after only a few inserts, the cd starts busting out the bottom of the sleeve. no biggie, you can fix it with a piece of tape, but still, an inconvenience.

@lizard: SPV, to the best of my knowledge, didn't used to put their imprint/stamp on albums, since primarily, they're only the larger distro house. There are a number of labels under their "umbrella," the largest being Steamhammer, and just in the past couple years they began putting the SPV logo on all releases that they distributed as well. Like all LMP releases in North America (which is where you've prolly seen a bunch of their name now).

Wow. I just read that. Was it even English? :confused:

Ah now I understand because I have that Star One CD...that's not technically a digipak. It's like a little book with pages in the middle and the CD goes in the inside cover right?

Yeah, I'm not a big fan if it's just a regular album. If it's something I really want, I might get the book special edition as opposed to jewel case...

npearce said:
I've never heard Grave or Goatwhore. Immolation is a little bland for me these days. I saw them in '96 with Brutal Truth and Cannibal Corpse. Immolation was a young band, but they were completely out of place considering the level the other two bands played at.

Immolation "own" both of those bands NOW. No fucking comparison as it's not even close.

And as far as those digibooks, they only come that way with most Inside Out stuff if it's a special edition. OSI and Star One... and to be honest, I wouldn't want the regular version..