Rick Rozz and Bill Andrews

Salvatore

Oct 4, 2005
wisconsin
I just listened to Leprosy after not hearing it for a while. I forgot how much I love Pull the Plug and Open Casket. But one thing that stood out, and that's the efforts from Rick Rozz and Bill Andrews. Getting rid of those two clowns was the best thing to happen to the band. If you notice all the recordings after that are much better as far as drumming and leads. And those are my 2 cents. Any comments? :devil:

I dunno, I never had a problem with Bill Andrews' drum tracks. They're not not as technical as the later drummers to play with Death, but they're not too bad. I think his double bass ability fit well with the style of the band at that time. I like what he plays during the last solo on "Within The Mind" off of Spiritual Healing.

As for Rick Rozz, I was never a big fan of his style but you have to admit that it was kind of unique in death metal at that time. He does have one cool solo on one of the songs on Massacre's Inhuman Condition EP though. I forget the name of the song, but he actually does something besides just whammy pulls during that solo. And no, I'm not getting it confused with the guy whose solo kind of sounds like a James Murphy solo, whoever that was.

I think the weakest link was Terry Butler, to be honest. I guess he did his job, but he doesn't really stand out at any point in time as a great bass player during any Death song that he recorded...that I can think of. Maybe I should go back and listen to Leprosy and Spiritual Healing to see if I missed something.

Maybe its just the snare drum sound on Leprosy that bothers me, it's so loud and overpowering, especially on Open Casket.

for that album Bill and Terry were both ok,nothing more than that.of course they are clowns among the later Death line-ups.still Rick Rozz solos sucked big time,don't know how that guy managed to play in Death.

I absolutely loved Leprosy when it first came out ... still to this day it has some of my favorite tracks ... probably the simplest and less technical of Death's releases, but delievered very convincingly ...

chuck played bass on almost all the tracks on spiritual healing because terry was terrible and couldn't play them correctly

I heard Chuck say that about Terry Butler before.
On the tribute nobody is playing any songs from the albums they appeared on.
So will Mr Butler be playing any songs from the Leprosy album???

Mark_UK said:
I heard Chuck say that about Terry Butler before.
On the tribute nobody is playing any songs from the albums they appeared on.
So will Mr Butler be playing any songs from the Leprosy album???

Sorry - I meant Spiritual Healing!!!!

I think Bill Andrews is a great drummer. In no way is he a clown?
Really give spiritual healing another listen and listen carefully he does some real nice stuff and his kick is really tight and sharp.
By the time they did spiritual healing they got the sound right not so much echo over tone. But His playing is awesome I think some of the later drummers over do it. Then again I prefer the old school death style. Spiritual healing is by far my fav album from these guys.