RIP Mitch Hedberg

Scourge of Malice said:
:cry: Man I didn't know he died, that's horrible! Comedy Central better dedicate a weekend to him and show his standup. He was definately hilarious and one of a kind. I can see why he would be compared by some to Stephen Wright but to me he's quite different. Another thing I noticed about him was he was the only comedian (that I know of) who would say 'I love you, thanks for coming out' and actually seem sincere. In some ways that makes him the Ozzy Osbourne of comedy. I read in that link you gave, that at one university he played these students were telling him about how hot and stuffy their dorm room was. He showed up at their room the next day with a new air conditioner. How cool is that?! Here's some quotes of his worth remembering:

"I used to do drugs...I still do drugs...but I used to do drugs, too."

"I think that Pringles' original idea was to make tennis balls...but someone showed up the the factory with a truckload of potatoes...the owner, he's a real cool guy, he said 'Ah fukit! Cut 'em up!' "

"I tried walking into a Target, but I missed."

"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long."

"I wish I could play little league now, I'd be way better than before"

"I would imagine if you understood Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy"

"I played golf...I did not get a hole in one..but I did hit a guy...and that's WAY more satisfying...You're supposed to yell FORE...but I was too busy mumbling 'There ain't no way that's gonna hit him'"

"I wrote a letter to my dad. I wrote - I really enjoy being here. But I accidentaly wrote rarely instead of really. But I still wanted to use it, so I crossed it out and wrote I rarely drive steamboats, Dad. There's a lot you don't know about me. Quit trying to act like I'm a steamboat operator. - This letter took a harsh turn right away."

"And then at the end of the letter I like to write P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated."

"When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying 'Here, YOU throw this away'"

"I got into an arguement with my girlfriend inside a tent. That's a bad place for an arguement because I tried to walk out and slam the flap. How are you supposed to express your anger in this situation? Zipper it up real quick?"

"I was going to get my teeth whitened, but I said 'Screw that, I'll just get a tan instead'"

"I don't own a cell phone or a pager. I just hang around everyone I know, all the time. If someone wants to get hold of me they just say 'Mitch' and I say 'What?' and I turn my head slightly"

"I like the escalator. The escalator can never break. It can only become stairs."

"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said 'I hear music'. As though there's another way you can take it in. You're not special. That's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it, but it did not work"

"One time a guy handed me a picture of himself and said 'Here's a picture of me when I was younger.' Every picture of you is of when you were younger. Here's a picture of me when I'm older. How'd you pull that off? Let me see that camera"

Alcoholism is a disease. But it's the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. Dammit Otto you're an alcoholic....Dammit Otto you have Lupis. See one of the two don't sound right."

"I get the Reese's candy bar. If you read it, there's an apostrophe. The candy bar is his. I didn't know that. Next time you're eating a Reese's and some guy named Reese comes up to you and says 'let me have that', you better give it to him. I'm sorry Reese. I didn't think I would ever run into you"

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg
(please forgive the extensive list)

Who knows? Maybe his death will make him more legendary. People will be quoting him (as I admitadly do on occasion, like the Pringles one, or the Reese's, or the escalator). I wish I had a tape or DvD or something so I can watch him, of course I'd rather HEAR him. Why would I want to see him, when the ear is a much better way to take in his comedy ...Man now I'm doing it! The difference is HE's funny.

Quotes

• "I once saw a forklift lift a crate of forks. And it was way too literal for me."

• "You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish; they just want to make it late for something."

"Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something";

• "I love blackjack. But I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semicircle."

• "I think foosball is a combination of soccer and shishkebabs."