RIP Mitch Mitchell

Satanstoenail

My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle
Sep 6, 2006
Arse End
Jimi Hendrix's drummer found dead

Story from The Age

jh02.jpg

Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his US hotel room early today. He was 61.

Mitchell, a native of England, was a powerful force on Are You Experienced?, the 1967 debut album of the Hendrix band. He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as Fire and Manic Depression.

The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed on Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.

Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bass player for the trio, died in 2003.

An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body.

Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned.

Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day holiday and had planned to leave today.

"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."

He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.

Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix - like Mitchell - and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.

Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, Merlis said. "If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."

Mitchell played for numerous other bands but was best known for his work in the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992.

According to the Hall of Fame, he was born July 9, 1947, in Ealing, England.

Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1996, according to the Hall of Fame's website.

In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."

"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."

Sad, he was a one of a kind drummer {in rock} as the artical says. Very jazz based, as many early rock drummers were but Mitchell had the really snappy snare drum work. Mitchell was a very busy drummer, at times too much for me during the jams but that was what they were into, a total free for all. I still remember the excitement involved over the drum beat to Fire, that was just the coolest song, "back in the day".
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hwjgB6XgU&feature=related[/ame]

hats off ol' boy
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiMu_ZSbKn4&feature=related[/ame]

An excellent drummer, often overlooked by fans.

Probably true, but I will say that any drummers I have known speak highly of him, for example Manic Depression is some piece of work. As I sit now and listen to Axis, I realize the amount of classic drum fills he used that are still common place today. Many creative drumming ideas on this album, perhaps always outshined by Hendrix so many dont hear his work, myself included. Then he had his double bass set, perhaps one of the first I can think of besides Ginger Baker.

Nice work with the fail there.

Razor - Cheers for posting those vids. I've always love Mitchell's drumming, I thought he was the other star of The Experience. Noel Redding never did much for me as a bass player. One of the things I love about the Woodstock video was to see Mitchell playing with a real bassist (Billy Cox) who could groove properly. I loved his busy free-form style. His influence is mammoth. Sad to see him go at a relatively young age.

thanks, I paid more attention to his drumming last night and I guess I took it all for granted or spent too much time listening to Jimi and ignoring the rest. Old Hendrix tunes are loaded with top notch drum work. I just always got a bit bummed out when they got jamming and went kinda helter skelter. I must have watched over a dozen vids last night as well, there really is some good ones when you sift through them. I agree about Reding, worst of him was the two songs he sang on Axis... yikes. Ever
notice the vids with Cox where Jimi seems to que him as hes still unsure or inexperienced and at times Jimi seemed frustrated ? I think the "new" band with Miles may have been great... but... oh well

Ever notice the vids with Cox where Jimi seems to que him as hes still unsure or inexperienced and at times Jimi seemed frustrated ? I think the "new" band with Miles may have been great... but... oh well

Yeah I noticed that on the Woodstock vid. And yeah the plans Hendrix had would most definitely have blown our minds considering the level of creative inspiration that was going on at the time.

Some say he was headed in the funk, fusion direction. Others say he would have done more progressive blues work more like Marino did. Buddy Miles said he just let go to move on to the next plane, which is the one I believe the least. I did read that he was supposed to record/jam with Cobham and Hammer and could have very well been the guitar player on the "Spectrum" album which would have been interesting but no complaints with Bolin, it was "interesting" enough.