RIP Paul Gray

Catharsis70

Apr 28, 2005
Slipknot bassist Paul Gray was found dead in an Iowa hotel room, the Associated Press reports. He was 38 years old.

A hotel employee discovered Gray's body in a room at the town Plaza Hotel in Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines early Monday. Many of Slipknot's members are from the Des Moines area.

Foul play isn't suspected and an autopsy is planned for Tuesday, where toxicology tests and other tests will be done to determine Gray's cause of death.

The nine-member band Slipknot is best known for their highly aggressive brand of heavy metal and wearing crazy masks while performing. Their self-titled album sold more than one million copies in 1999 and the band won a GRAMMY in 2006 for Best Metal Performance for their single, 'Before I Forget.'

Amy Sciarretto, a publicist at the band's record company, Roadrunner Records of New York City, confirmed Gray's death but declined to comment further. Most of the band's members grew up in the Des Moines area.

Andy Hall, music director of Des Moines rock station Lazer 103.3, said he'd known Gray for 10 years and described him as a talented bass player and one of the most caring people he knew.

"This is a big blow not only to the community of Des Moines but fans of metal at large, worldwide," Hall said. "It's a devastating loss. Paul was a wonderful human being."

its sad metal music, and the world in general lost yet another rising star. RIP, hope you are jamming up there in Valhalla with RJD

A sad time for the music world. Cut down in his prime ... I saw the video of the band members paying tribute to him.

My thought's and prayers go out to all of them and Paul's wife and family.

It is the first time all of them appeared publicly together minus the masks ... I figured that was going to happen at some point but it is sad that it is under these circumstances.