Ripping up and pissing on recording contracts

Where's the back story to all this? I know about Earache's handling of certain bands, but do you have any info on Ewigkeit specifically?

James Fogarty was a co-founder of The Meads, but is no longer in the band.

I'm actually listening to In the Name of God...Welcome to Planet Genocide as I tidy up the apt. today.

It would have been much more incenidary if the Ewigkeit contract was scanned and put up on the Internet.

Jim LotFP said:
Why does this never happen? Any reason I can think of would also prevent, say, burning and pissing on a contract as well.
Unless there was a clause written into the contract indicating that there would be severe financial and legal reperucussions if the contents were ever shared with a third party.

Certainly not unheard of. In the contracts employees sign with Harpo Inc, they are forbidden from discussing any aspects of its business in a public way for the rest of there lives, regardless of if they remain with the corporation or not. Elizabeth Cody tested the stipulation in court and lost to Oprah and her army of lawyers.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing on paper...

Cody's contention that Harpo is "a company ruled by fear" also may speak to the current situation.

If a band went public with some things, a record label who pays for advertising, doles out promos and is considered a pillar of the community could lean on others and have an adverse effect on a band's fortunes.

But that is merely me specualting on a hypothesis.

Unless there was a clause written into the contract indicating that there would be severe financial and legal reperucussions if the contents were ever shared with a third party.

Certainly not unheard of. In the contracts employees sign with Harpo Inc, they are forbidden from discussing any aspects of its business in a public way for the rest of there lives, regardless of if they remain with the corporation or not. Elizabeth Cody tested the stipulation in court and lost to Oprah and her army of lawyers.

People who sign such things are dumbasses. Giving up basic natural rights for anything, let alone money (or worse yet, a chance at money), is fuckin' unbelievable. Of course "going against regulations = being fired" is understandable, but after you're no longer there? Fuck 'em. In the ear.

If a band went public with some things, a record label who pays for advertising, doles out promos and is considered a pillar of the community could lean on others and have an adverse effect on a band's fortunes.

I must not play well with others, because there's more fun in watching "important" people getting pissy than there is in seeing regular people be happy. If you're going to cause havoc, cause havoc dammit.