RIVAL SONS' SCOTT HOLIDAY Talks About His Live Gear With MUSIC RADAR (Video)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Guitarist Scott Holiday of California blues rockers RIVAL SONS recently spoke to Music Radar about his live gear. Check out the clip below. RIVAL SONS' new album, "Great Western Valkyrie", was released on June 10 in the USA (one day earlier internationally). The CD was recorded with producer Dave Cobb at LCS Studios in Nashville, Tennessee. In a recent interview with Blues Rock Review, Holiday stated about "Great Western Valkyrie": "When we finished this record, we'd done about 20 songs. We had ventured way, way outside, and there was also a group of songs that were very much RIVAL SONS, very much our rock 'n' roll thing. It's not that we're forcing that or we have to do that — it's just like that, and it feels like us and it translates very well live and on record. "In sequencing the record, we all amazingly had a very similar sequence when we stepped away, but for me, the idea was… this record goes so far outside to another area, and it might be foreign to a lot of our fans. "I wanted to open this record up in very familiar territory, to remind people. "A lot of people probably will discover our band on this record — we're still at that point. So we wanted to open the record this way and then slowly start to turn the corner. "If you buy it on vinyl, it's very much set up like that. Side A is this very familiar rock 'n' roll territory: 'Yep, that's RIVAL SONS. I know this band.' But right when you flip Side A to Side B: 'Oh. But this is actually a bit different.' You get 'Good Things', and then we come right back to 'Open My Eyes'. Then 'Rich And The Poor'; that's very, very different from a lot of stuff we've done. So we start to really turn the corner, slowly but surely on Side B. Then you go to Side C, the final side — because it's actually a three-sided vinyl. Side C has 'Belle Starr', 'Where I've Been' and 'Destination On Course', which totally goes off into some interesting territory. "It's set up to string you out off into space, slowly but surely. [Laughs] "We try to keep the listener with us, but also turn some new corners, you know?"

More...