RME and analog console...

QV

Apr 20, 2006
www.bartfrydrychowicz.com
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and this is my first question.
I would like to hook a vintage Harrison-MR3 console to my existing set up (RME Fireface800/Cubase) and I was wondering what would be the best way to integrate the two. I'd like to route each output from the RME through the console and back, process with plugins in the box and then send the final mix out through the console to the monitors...

Can this be done efficient with the SL3 version of Cubase or should I get the SX3?
Thanks in advance!

Im not sure about Cubase question but if the console has direct outputs send those to the inputs of the fireface and then from there use fireface outputs to direct inputs on each channel you wish to monitor. Are you mixing on the console and using the computer for playback and effects? Cause version of cubase shouldnt matter if that how you intend on using it. How ever many outputs your fireface has is how many channels you should be able to route from cubase...... Welcome to the forum and I too know what it is like to not get a response on this here site sometimes.

Hey, thanks for answering.
This is the way I have it running now, monitoring is going through the CR out on the console.
On the RME I have 8 analog ins/outs and another 16 ADAT/SPDIF available (no digital on the console unfortunately).
What I want to do is to eq on the console (it has full parametric eq's on all the strips) and run effects from plugins on the PC. The problem arises when I want to start grouping. If I group on the DAW I can't send it to anywhere because my 8 analog outs are already taken.
I was thinking if I could group on the console and use the echo/cue sends to send the the DAW, then apply effects but then I can't use the analog EQs for all the individual tracks because I will loose two for the stereo master cominging in from the console....
Also I think I'm running into gain issues with the dbfs (RME) and dbvu (console)... all this is confusing me
-b

Not sure I understand the CR out on the console part? What's the CR out? Do you have a patch bay or any way to route your master module? How many channels are on the console, are there direct outs for every channel of the console? Vu meters on consoles are kinda shady at best cant always rely on them.

John Haddad (Shiva Industries) said:
Not sure I understand the CR out on the console part? What's the CR out? Do you have a patch bay or any way to route your master module? How many channels are on the console, are there direct outs for every channel of the console? Vu meters on consoles are kinda shady at best cant always rely on them.

OK here are the tech specs:
I have 3 speaker outs:
CR = Control Room
AUX CRM = second pair of speakers
Studio = Live room
This gives a total of 2 sets in the control room and one in the live room for playback).

Console Harrison MR3:
24 input, 56 channel (a/b mixes for each strip)
8 echo sends
patch bay is built into the console and I can route freely.
The console has multitrack feed/return for every strip aside from the patch bay so I do not need to send and receive through the patch bay but I can if I want to.
Any strip can be assigned to any input, including multiple strips assigned to the same input.
I also have mix out on the patch bay.

The console was a recent acquisition and we're in the process of testing all the connections and resoddering the snakes (yaaay :loco: ).

-b

I just googled your console! My friend it may be worth investing in more interfaces and upgrading your software, that console looks amazing and why try to group if you can send a live single track feed to every channel. Thats what I do. I have a Trident 24 channel console and use Logic 7 Pro, I have 2 Motu HD 192 Converters - for a total of 24 channels. Their is no way to group more than the amount of ins and out from your interface on your console, you'd have to group in the DAW and send all 8 outs to 8 ins on the board, seems like a waste of a great board only being able to use 8 channels to mix. Id start spending some dough on more interfaces and upgrade the software. You cant go wrong......

Oh and have fun re-wiring and testing!!! I had to do it, took me like 3 days to figure out what the hell I was doing and what need to be fixed - replaced...... Good Luck!

John Haddad (Shiva Industries) said:
Oh and have fun re-wiring and testing!!! I had to do it, took me like 3 days to figure out what the hell I was doing and what need to be fixed - replaced...... Good Luck!

Thanks! I think this is pretty much the options I have... I'm putting in a new PC this weekend, maybe afterwords I'll do some tests and post them to see if the whole analog thing makes a difference. In the future I'll probably have to upgrade to Cubase SX3 to be able to use the board as an external effect...
-b